Light Engine on and heat blowing cold air

ANA_26
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
On my Cadillac 2003 CTS warning engine light came on and heater blows cold air. Mileage is 21,000. Is this the thermostat? How do I change it?
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 1:50 PM

SKYLERHANSON
If your heat is blowing cold then this points to a problem with your heater core. Now it is most likely a clog so before you go and spend a bunch of money to replace a heater core try taking it somewhere to have the system flushed. You could replace the thermosat for good measures because its only a $10 part but this problem is more related to your heater core.
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 3:03 PM
CADIEMAN
This point to the heater control valve
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 10:14 PM
FACTORYJACK
If your check engine light is on, and you have low operating temperature, have the diagnostic done to determine the code set. If it is P0128, I would recommend thermostat replacement. It is not a $10 part, you are going to be looking at more like $300-$350 for replacement.
Saturday, February 26th, 2011 AT 5:30 AM
SKYLERHANSON
Actually gstacey you are wrong. But you can keep telling people false information. A thermostat cost $10 at most! and it's an easy replacement if you do it yourself because its 2 bolts. And if you would like to argue with me more on the subject of price here's a link you prove how false you are!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Thermostat/_/N-8gctr?filterByKeyWord=thermostat&fromString=search&newYmme=true
+1
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 3:03 PM
NORE
Hello Gstacey,

I am having the same problem. However, I replaced the thermostat and the enginr light is still on and there still isn't any heat on the drivers side. What should I do next? Btw, everything is really expensive. You are correct about replacing the thermostat. I had the diagnostic done and I have a few codes. I don't have them in front of me right now, but I will post tomorrow, maybe you can tell me something. I was told that the engine is heating up only 50% when it is suppose to be at 95-100%. The car is also vibrating. The mechanic said it may be the transmission or coolant. Sorry, I don't recall exactly what he said. But he mentioned it's possible the vibrating feeling will go away if the heat it fixed. Also, do you think the valve may be changed? Sorry, I wish I can get my car fixed already it's been way too long and no one can figure it out. Can you give me your opinion?

Thanks in advance,
Nore
Tuesday, March 1st, 2011 AT 11:26 PM
NORE
Hello Skyler Hanson,

I just purchased a new thermostat for my 2003 Cadillac CTS and it cost about $40-50 but the labor is what raises the price because it takes time to get in there.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Thermostat/_/N-8gctr?filterByKeyWord=thermostat&fromString=search

Do you have any suggestions about my car issue?

Regards,
Nore
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 6:51 AM