Engine won't crank, but I have power

GBURTON76
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS

I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS, The car was running with no issues, the engine light was on but when I had it checked I was told it was the thermostat and I should not worry about it unless the car starts running hot. The thermostat was replaced less then 6 months ago.

When I went to start the car this morning, All the power came on radio head lights etc etc, but the engine will not crank. I purchased a new battery and no change.

I had the oil changed less then 60 days ago from sears. The car has always ran synthetic oil.

So when I turn the key, the start-up procedures occur there is no error lights that stay on, the car receives power from the battery, but when I crank it all the way it is silent.

Any Suggestions.

Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 4:28 AM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like a classic starter motor that has gone out. Here is a couple of guides to help you test and replace the starter motor.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-engine-will-not-crank-over

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:24 PM
SAMMIE SLICE
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS

2003 Cadillac CTS V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

After I replaced the alternator, the car wouldn't star it would make a clicking sound.I finally got it to turn over, a few times then back to clicking sound. I had it towed to a mechanic, he changed the starter and it still won't turn over. Possible problem engine frozen? It didn't lose oil, didn't heat up, I feel there is an electrical problem. He is my local mechanic not the Cadillac dealer. Is it possible that the engine is frozen?

+1
Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:25 PM (Merged)

Is it cranking over and will not start or just won't crank over at all/nothing when you turn key to starting position?

+2
SAMMIE SLICE

It won't crank over at all, just the clicking sound. When the starter won't engage it makes this sound.

+1

Inspect and test all fusible links, starter motor relay, park/neutral switch, starter motor and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connection are good-

+1
1100MSA
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS

We have replaced the battery with a new Interstate Battery, we have replaced with a new starter and put a used transmission with 80000 miles in the car. It will power up when turned on, but will not crank. What can it be? Thanks

+2

Try resetting security system

COLLIARWOODS
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS

2003 Cadillac CTS

When I crank my car, it will not stay crank, and when it crank up it runs rough, so what's my problem with it?

Engine running rough or misfiring can be cause by the following:

1. Defective spark plug
2. Inadequate spark/coil, defective spark plug wire.
3. Lack of compression
4. False air leakage.
5. Faulty fuel injectors.
6. Insufficient fuel pressure.
7. Contaminated fuel.
8. EGR valve that is leaking.
9. Oxygen sensors.
10. Throttle position sensor.
11. Idle air control valve.

RHYNOD23
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS

2003 Cadillac CTS

I recently bought an 03 cadillac cts. I'm having a problem with it starting. It seems like it usually only happens when the engine is warm. It will crank and crank and crank, but never turn over. I'll let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then go back and it will start right up. Any ideas what this could be. I'm a broke college kid, so i'm trying to get an idea without having to spend too much out of pocket. It's also died a couple times while ideling at stoplights, then I have this starting problem as well. Thanks!

Lets do below for a start to determine if its fuel or spark related issue and get back asap.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

MRIGENE
  • 2005 CADILLAC CTS

After turning the key our car keeps turning over and starts eventualy. We were told it sounds like the fuel pump. Could it be that the fuel pump isnt holding pressure or is this another problem other than the fuel pump.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:26 PM (Merged)

The first thing I would check would be fuel pressure. It may be taking the pump too long to build pressure.

-1
GKUNTZ
  • 2004 CADILLAC CTS

2004 Cadillac CTS 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 38000 miles

Car was stored inside, last driven 1.5 months ago. Original battery went dead, replaced with a new one. Car will not turn over and key will not come out of the ignition without tripping the release spring under the stearing column. Lights turn on, battery voltage ok. Does it need some special programming and can we do this ourself? Thanks

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:27 PM (Merged)
FACTORYJACK

You can try disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together for about 30 seconds, and reconnecting. If that don't work, I would suggest a dealer to have the ecm reprogrammed.

RYAN4921
  • 2006 CADILLAC CTS

It will try and turnover but seems like it just doesnt have enough juice. After trying a couple times it looked like there was smoke coming from the engine compartment. This happened after I drove it the night before and everything was normal.

Any idea if the engine is getting spark and fuel? Was the smoke from the starter?

+1
FACTORYJACK

Check the connections at the battery, the positive battery cable, and the starter itself, for signs of thermal damage. If there is a burnt electrical smell, visually check the underhood fuse block/electrical center as it houses the starter relay. It is the same start schematic for either the 2.8/3.6 or the 6.0 CTS-V. The 6.0 is a little harder on starters due to the proximity to exhaust heat.

+1
RYAN4921

Thanks, I'll check that out this weekend. Any idea how much it'll cost if I have to replace anything? Not sure where the smoke was coming from. It just smelled like something electrical was burning and didn't last very long.

FACTORYJACK

It will vary in price, depending on what you have to replace, and what diagnostics might be needed. Have you tried to start it again, perhaps even tried to jump start. Are there any other symptoms in addition, that may point to a general area. The thing about electrical, is often times when a thermal failure occurs, the smell remains. It is a very strong, and very distinct odor. Do you have an odor that is still evident?

-1