BMW X5

STEVEWILKES
  • 2003 BMW X5
My x5 key remote does not work and inserting the key in the drivers door does nothing, is there any way into my car?
Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 AT 4:51 PM

DR. HAGERTY
Have you tried to get in through the rear gate?
Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 AT 5:40 PM
STEVEWILKES
I cannot see any obvious way in through the rear gate, unless there is a hidden lock somewhere?
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 3:38 PM
DR. HAGERTY
What I meant was, does the remote open the gate? If not then do you have more than one key, if so does it work? Just to be sure I understand, turning the key in the drivers door does not open the door, but if you turn and hold the key in the open direction, do the windows go open as they are supposed to?
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 4:12 PM
STEVEWILKES
I only have the one key, it never worked remotely since I bought the car six months ago, it never bothered me as it worked manually in the drivers door lock, so just used to get in and out of the car that way, thinking I would get the key reprogrammed at a later date(wish I had now) we had some very bad weather couple of weeks ago and the drivers door lock was very stiff on trying to open(frozen up I guess) anyhow I think I must have broken something in the barrel because now the key just turns to the left or right very loosely with no resistance and nothing happening.

Although I knew the remote key didnt work, I stood pressing all the buttons on the key fob pointing at the car and it suddenly flashed its indicators once and the car has now armed itself.

I did call my local bmw garage who said the only way in to the car was to smash a window and put arm through and insert key into ignition, turn the key and alarm would dis-arm and central locking should pop up door locks.

Was just seeing if there was any alternative other than smashing a window(not cheap to replace at 300)

I will try putting key in door and holding in open position to see if window will drop but think in my panic ealier I tried this and nothing happenend
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 4:31 PM
DR. HAGERTY
OK Steve, let me know what you come up with, we can try to re-initialize the key you have when you get in.
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 8:30 PM