Power doors locks keep locking itself

PHIL4ART
  • 2002 TOYOTA SIENNA
The power door locks keep locking by itself and when driving keep getting locking sounds repeatedly. Every time the driver door is closed the car gets locked.
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 5:42 PM

ASEMASTER6371
I would look at the body control module. Have a shop check the bcm for codes to see what or why the commands are being sent.

-2
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 5:54 PM
BLOISEAU
  • 2001 TOYOTA SIENNA
I have the above noted car. For the last few weeks, the automatic locks will begin automatically switching on and off. This can occur while driving or while the car is turned off. I haven't studied it enough to test with cause and effect. It doesn't happen all of the time- but when it does, it is sure annoying. Any ideas on how I can remedy this problem?
Saturday, November 16th, 2019 AT 1:25 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
Have you recently used a key to unlock one of them the is normally opened otherwise? IF so, unplug the micro door switch to the suspected door and see if the problem stops. Do this with each door until it stops, plugging the previous one back in.

Good chance a door switch is bad.
BLOISEAU
Thank you for the reply. I must clarify that all of the doors in the car are switching on and off erratically. I do not believe that it is one specific door. Can you please be more specific on the switches that you are referring to as I am not familiar with the electronics of automobiles, and does my explnation of all doors make a difference? Thanks!
+1
SERVICE WRITER
Also known as an actuator, one can cause all of them to cycle. The door panel needs to copme off and the actuator can be found by looking at the latch and finding the connector that goes to it.
+1
ACTSMITH
  • 2001 TOYOTA SIENNA
Yesterday while I tried to unlock the van using the remote control, the doors failed to unlock the first few times. Thinking back, the locks didn't seem to unlock properly a number of times prior to yesterday. Anyway, when we went out, things seemed fine, but we had trouble unlocking the doors to get out. Finally, on the trip home, the locks began clicking as if the doors were trying to lock and unlock on their own. When we got home, I tried to use the remote but the locks weren't responding properly. Locks weren't unlocking. At one point, I tried to use the lock control button on the driver's side door, and nothing happened. Finally, we did get the door unlocked so that we could get out.

Any idea what the cause could be? What the fix could be? Can the auto-lock function be disabled safely so that we can just go manual?
CADIEMAN
THIIS SOUND LIKE A BAD DOOR LOCK ACUATOR. U TAKE THE PANEL OFF AND REMOVE ACTATOR HARNESS AND CK. FOR POWER.
ED53IND
  • 1998 TOYOTA SIENNA
1998 Toyota Sienna 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

The power door locks on this car continue to "click" after the car is shut off. Seams to do this more when the weather is damp.
IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model a CE, LE, or XLE. Also please tell me your engine size in liter.
+3
ED53IND
The 1998 Sienna is an "XLE" with 3.0 engine I believe.
+4
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info......

There isn't a specific troubleshooting problem for what you are encountering. I have attached tests for the different switches.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_F3p1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_F3p2_1.jpg

Sienna Door Lock Motor Operation

Locate door lock motor and disconnect door lock motor 4-pin connector. Connect positive battery lead to Blue/Red wire terminal and negative battery lead to Blue/Black wire terminal. Lock link should move. Reverse battery leads. Lock link should move in opposite direction. If door lock motor operation is not as specified, replace door lock assembly and retest system.

Sienna Door Key lock and unlock switch

1. Locate front door key lock and unlock switch connector behind door panel. Disconnect 3-pin connector. Ensure continuity exists between switch terminals No. 1 (White/Black wire) and No. 3 (Blue wire) with switch in UNLOCK position. Ensure continuity exists between switch terminals No. 1 (White/Black wire) and No. 2 (Blue/White wire) with switch in LOCK position. If continuity is not as specified, replace switch and retest system.

2. Locate back door key lock and unlock switch connector behind back door panel. Disconnect 3-pin connector. Ensure continuity exists between switch terminals No. 1 (Blue/Yellow wire) and No. 3 (White/Black wire) with switch in UNLOCK position. Ensure continuity exists between switch terminals No. 1 (Blue/Yellow wire) and No. 2 (Blue/White wire) with switch in LOCK position. If continuity is not as specified, replace switch and retest system.

Sienna Relay Integration relay circuit testing

1. Remove integration relay from driver-side junction block. Check 20-pin connector for poor terminal contact. Repair as necessary. If terminal contact is okay, go to next step.

2. Connect voltmeter positive lead to relay terminal No. 1 (Blue/Red wire) and negative lead to relay terminal No. 9 (Blue/Black wire). Set door lock control switch to UNLOCK position. Voltage should increase from 0-12 volts for about .2 second. Reverse voltmeter leads. Set door lock control switch to LOCK position. Voltage should increase from 0-12 volts for about .2 second. If voltages are not as specified, replace relay. If voltages are as specified, check door lock signal. See appropriate test under DOOR LOCK SWITCH SIGNAL TEST .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_F7_1.jpg

My suggestion is to check the relay first..............
+3