ENGINE FAILURE

• maggie nut
  • 2002 Toyota Corolla
  • manual

Toyota 2002 corolla 88,000 klms.
engine stops dead (no spluttering)without warning while driving at any speed fast or slow, usually after driving for at least 100klms. On hot day with air-con going & head lights, after resting for 10 minutes will start again. Toyota can't find problem. Say no computer codes to alert to what the problem is. Can coolant temperature sensors or crank sensors be checked if they are working without having to rely on the computer to say if they are OK? I am at wits end to find the problem as it happens when I am a long way from home.

Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 9:06 PM

• geet

Sensor problem is read by scanner. Do a tuning check spark plug and compression test. Check if distributor fires blue spark. Try to clean the throttle with carb and choke cleaner spray. Check your air filter.

Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 AT 5:05 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

During the 10 minutes that it doesn't start, check to make sure you have fuel and spark to the engine. One will most likely be missing. From there, you can focus on that circuit.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 4:26 PM