Temperature is running hot but cold air blowing thew the heater

JOE JEFFERS
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
I've replaced the thermostat and water pump car ran great for four days. Then the car went to red and had cold air blowing through the vents. Eventually things went back to normal. At a stop sign the car seemed to get hot again.
Saturday, December 24th, 2011 AT 8:03 PM

SATURNTECH9
Have you checked the heater core for a restriction?ALso does your cooling fan work when its running hot?Are both the upper and lower radiator hose getting too hot to touch?
Saturday, December 24th, 2011 AT 8:13 PM
JOE JEFFERS
Both fans work. Not sure about the hoses. I just replaced the ECT sensor. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. Why would it run perfect for four days driving it 40 miles plus a day than all of a sudden it goes straight to the red line with cold air blowing through the heater? Sounded like a sensor to me? I'll see what happens. This car has 2 hundred thousand plus miles on it.
Saturday, December 24th, 2011 AT 9:28 PM
SATURNTECH9
The running hot the ect would make sense but not the cold heater. If its running hot the heater should be hot unless you loss flow thru the heater core or had a blend door issue.
Saturday, December 24th, 2011 AT 10:00 PM
JOE JEFFERS
I'm about to flush the system. Does the blend door something that needs to be flushed? Or is an electrical item?
Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 AT 9:51 PM
JOE JEFFERS
I'm about to flush the system. Does the blend door need to be flushed or is this a mechanical door?
Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 AT 9:53 PM
SATURNTECH9
The blend door is inside the car and and no coolantflows thru it. It just directs the air across the heater core or the evaporator core.
Thursday, December 29th, 2011 AT 1:49 AM
JOE JEFFERS
So far so good. Every thing working fine on the flush. One of the problems is I have a leak (coolant) at the back of the motor. I can't figure out how to take off the heat shield off the intake manifold. This is where the leak is coming from. Someone told me that there is some small water lines? Is this true? Thanks for all your help.
So far: replaced the termastate and water pump and ect and have done a complete flush. Still trying to figure out the leak.
Thursday, December 29th, 2011 AT 2:41 AM
SATURNTECH9
Not sure of the small hoses but would say those would be a heater hose or return hose. Toyotas arent my speciality saturns are. As far as that heat shield there should be bolts holding that on.
+2
Thursday, December 29th, 2011 AT 2:49 AM