Engine cranks but wont start

JESSEY1011
  • 2002 SATURN L200
One. Day I cranked my car over an it started sputtering like it wanted to stall so I let it run for a little bit an drove. It home which was about 30miles an it was really slow. Like. It didnt want to acclerate then it started sputtering again an finally stalled an. Wen I went to turn it. Over it would start for. One second an stall again took. It. To. The. Machinc an was told that the compression was. Low an I need a new. Engine was wondering if there could b something else wrong?
Friday, September 2nd, 2011 AT 6:25 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Friday, September 2nd, 2011 AT 10:58 AM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one those engines are known for timing chains jumping teeth and the chains breaking. So dont rule that out auto zone renta fuel pressure gauges and I think compression testers so if you want to verify the low compression that the shop you after you check fuel presure spark etc get a compression tester its pretty easy to check. We can get you instructions on how to check it. Also what is the last 8 digits of your vin number?
Friday, September 2nd, 2011 AT 1:45 PM
JESSEY1011
He told me that my timming chain was fine it makes no since an I dont have my vin number handy cause all my stuff is in my car which is at the dealer. An everyone says it sounds like it out of. Timming an that he just trying to get money out of me I looked up all the recalls for my car but idk where to look to see if my car is under this recall.. But would the car turn over even tho the timming chain gone?
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 6:31 AM
SATURNTECH9
If the timing chain is off by a few teeth it can still turn over even if the chain broke depending what position the valves were in it could still turn over. The pistons usually just destroy the valves bend them etc. Its pretty hard to test anything since its at the shop.
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 6:48 AM
JESSEY1011
Okay I got the vin number. Ig8ju54f52ys40060 an I went there today an he said that it coulf b my timming chain soo who knows im taking it to a saturen certfied dealer on monday
Saturday, September 10th, 2011 AT 1:47 AM
SATURNTECH9
I have replaced alot of those timing chains from breaking and jumping time. There is a campaign they had on them I was trying to find some info on that but couldn't. So when you take it to the gm dealer ask them about it. Keep me posted on what they find.
Saturday, September 10th, 2011 AT 2:46 AM
JESSEY1011
So I got my timming chain fixed an it works but now I ever since then I have a minor oil leak idk if I shpuld get it fixed right away or if it woulr b fine if I keep puttin oil in it?
Saturday, October 8th, 2011 AT 3:47 AM
SATURNTECH9
If its leaking so bad you have to add oil it needs to be fixed now. Where is it leaking valve cover front cover or the front crank seal?
Saturday, October 8th, 2011 AT 6:46 AM