PROBLEM WITH FUAL PUMP

2002 Pontiac Grand Am

badina

August, 21, 2011 AT 9:05 PM

Wodering why my fual pump goes out. Second time in a year.

saturntech9

August, 21, 2011 AT 9:26 PM

Did you replaced just the pump or the whole module?Also did you replace the pick up screen when you replaced the pump?What brand is the pump?Are you sure its the pump bad again?

badina

August, 21, 2011 AT 10:33 PM

Replaced the whole module, and fual filter at the same time. Not sure if it is the same thing. It just did the same exact thing as last time. But when starter fluid is put into it, it fires up but wont stay running. Thanks for your help.

badina

August, 21, 2011 AT 10:35 PM

No brand name on it. Ref # is FP SP61374M bought it at car quest. If that helps.

saturntech9

August, 21, 2011 AT 10:42 PM

The the strainer goes on the bottom of the fuel pump module. So you assume the pump is bad have you checked to see what the actual fuel pressure is?Or have you checked for fuel injector pluse?Also is the security light on solid or flashing?

badina

August, 22, 2011 AT 1:48 PM

I had a friend do this but I watched.( He works on cars as a hobby) (Im a girl im sure you can tell) If the strainer is sold seperate that was not changed (it does not come with the module?). Didnt check pressure yet. But there is gas coming out of line ( under hood where you do the pressure check when pushed in) is the fuel injector pluse under hood? (In a fuse box?)(If so you can hear it clicking on (pumping, how ever the noise is) when you turn key on. There is not security light on, ( but a year ago my service engine light came on (after pump was changed, came on a few mos. After, stayed on still on ) but my gas gauge stopped working a few mos. Ago. My car has been serviced a few times in the last year for a few miner things. The service guy didnt think anything major going on with car, (when I asked about service engine light). That is why I am here asking if it could be something other then the pump. But the gas does not seem to be getting to where it needs to go to start the car. Thank you so much for your help.

saturntech9

August, 22, 2011 AT 3:56 PM

You need to have your friend check the actual fuel pressure squirting fuel doesnt count as enough pressure to start and run. As far as injector pluse that is how fuel is delivered into the engine thru the fuel injectors. You will have power to one wire to each injector and a ground pluse from the computer to squirt fuel into the engine. To check for it youwould unplug the injectors and plug in a noid light where the injector went. Then crank the engine and watch for the light to flash.I would also check for spark. If you had your check engine light on when the car was running then I would get a scan tool and let me know the exact code numbers you have are.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide