CRANK BUT WON'T START UNTIL IT BEING THROTLED.

SOLDIERSHEART
  • 2002 NISSAN ALTIMA
I am not replying have a Question, I have a Nissan Altima 2002 model, it has a fault. Few days back, I took it to the Mechanic and change the oil, there after drove to the car wash, get it cleaned, and drove home. About a couple of hours I decide to go out when I get into the car and start it, it cranks but couldn't start, I had to throttle it to start then it picked up, I then drove to a nearby filling station to get fuel, there the same problem started.I took it to my mechanic and he did the needed checking. The fuel pump is working, though the engine is dropping current in the spark plugged, then I took it to an electrician that deals on cars, he changed the oil pump, but the same problem still persist, what should I do?
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 7:44 PM

The oil pump was changed? For what reason? As far as the issue, it sounds like a sensor issue (maf, iac, tps) not an oil pump. Also, was the actual fuel pressure checked or did he just confirm that the pump was turning on?
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 7:54 PM
SOLDIERSHEART
I actually mean the fuel pump was changed and the same fault repeated today.
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 7:58 PM
SOLDIERSHEART
The fuel pump was checked and it was flowing well, then the electrician came, at first I thought it was the external security instal for security reason that might have being the cause of drop of current, could it be that? Should I uninstall it? Today he cleaned the plugs and put them back, the car is now working, but I don't think it'll work for long considering the fact that the fault always occur after a long or short period of parking. What should I do?
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 8:07 PM
If the pump pressure is good, my next area of concern is either a simple vacuum leak or a bad idle air control valve (IAC). The IAC allows air to enter the intake when the throttle plate is closed. If it isn't allowing air to enter, you need to open the throttle plate (with the gas pedal) to get air in the combustion chamber.
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 8:14 PM
SOLDIERSHEART
Thanks for your assistance. How can I open it, should I take it to the electrician or the mechanic. What is a simple vacuum leak. Can you expantiate on those you mentioned, and the IAC.
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 8:40 PM
The IAC is located on the throttle body. Its job is to allow metered air into the engine when the throttle plate is closed. If it doesn't function properly, it can cause all types of idle issues. Next, your engine produces vacuum when it is started. That vacuum is used for a variety of purposes. The vacuum is routed from the engine's intake to where it is needed with rubber (black) vacuum hoses. Over time, these hoses can dry rot, break, or come off allowing air from the atmosphere to enter the engine. When that happens, the air / fuel ratio needed to run the engine is changed by the additional air. At higher speeds, you won't notice the difference, but when the car idles, it becomes a bigger issue. The vehicle can become harder to start, have a rough idle.

I hope this answers your questions.
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 8:51 PM
SOLDIERSHEART
You are a perfect technician, thanks so much for your help. Actually we have a very bad road here, recently I was on a high way and was driving then my exhaust fell on the ground, didn't know until was told that it is fallen, I tied it and drove to my mechanic, and he discovered that the exhaust had a fault, that I should replace it, I told him am not sufficient enough to do that now. So I am still using the old one, recently after changing the oil, the smoke, "fume" was much more than it used to, previous it was very small, I normally notice if it does that vacuum or smoke even when am standing close to the exhaust, do you think that might have caused the cranking problem, do you think air might have leaked through the exhaust to the IAC?
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 9:08 PM
The exhaust and IAC are seperate. However, my concern is this. There are oxygen sensors on the exhaust system that tell the computer the condition / gasses coming from the engine. If they were damaged or disconnected, it could cause a driveability problem. I would have them checked too. I can explaine how to you, but you will need what is called a live scanner to watch what they are doing. Based on throttle position, they produce different voltage signals to the computer based on the emissions from the engine. There are certain perameters they must stay within. It sounds harder than it is to check, but specific tools are needed. Thanks for the kind words. If you were here, I would get you up and running quickly. You seem like a great person. I wish I could help you more.
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 9:36 PM
SOLDIERSHEART
Thanks for offering to help, I appreciate, well you have done so much, and am so grateful, I have not thinking otherwise of the problem other than what you have said. I will take it to the electrician with what you have said and keep you updated in case if the problem still occurs, we have very local Mechanical workshop, they don't have this scanners, just few has a laptop to do such things and it cost so much. Thanks MR JACOB. Do you people accept payment through Liberty Reserve? We don't use credit card here. Wishing you a pleasant week free from stress.
Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 4:53 AM
Don't worry about payment. Just get the vehicle fixed. Let me know if I can help, and let me know what you find.

Take care of yourself.

Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 5:09 AM
SOLDIERSHEART
Joe,
Thank you. Will keep you updated.

B.
Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 6:09 AM
MR E
I have read many posts about a similar problem and it being related to bad o-ring on the Altima distributor! Many posts on google on this one. Sometimes removing the distributor and replacing the o-ring was enough to fix it. Sometimes the distributor was replaced. Many frustrated people wanted Nissan to offer free recall fix for this. Problem sometime would be intermittent as well. Not always though. Just intermittently intermittent.
Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 9:21 PM