CAR HAS NEW PARTS, BUT STILL SHUTS DOWN

• Ailuj
  • 2002 Mercury Sable
  • automatic

I have an 02 Mercury Sable. Car wouldn't start so I replaced the alternator, battery cables and the starter and it still wouldnt start so I replaced the battery. It worked fine for a week or two, but then started shaking a little and the check engine light came on. Finally, I drove to work but when I was heading home, I reversed and then the car just completely shut off, but had the check engine and battery light on. I jumped it and the car started, but the check engine light is still on and it doesn't feel right driving. What could possibly be the problem!

Thursday, July 21st, 2011 AT 8:57 PM

• caradiodoc

You've thrown all kinds of random parts at it that would cause a lot of different symptoms, but you never really said what those symptoms were. What was the original problem? What led you to replace the generator and starter? Do you have a digital voltmeter and know how to use it to do some testing?

Thursday, July 21st, 2011 AT 9:31 PM