2002 Mercury Mountaineer front differential and transfer case

FRMOORE
  • 2002 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER
  • AWD
I took my mountaineer to a mechanic he said I needed a front differential so I bought one from his scrap yard and paid him to put it on. Two weeks later it went out again he said the transfer case is causing the clips to come out the front differential and I now need a transfer case and its pointless to replace the front diff again without the transfer case even though he said it was the front differential that was messed up and it had a warranty. Can the transfer case cause the front diff to go out and shouldn't he have to refund my money if nothing is fixed.
Monday, April 7th, 2014 AT 1:54 PM

Absolutely. Mechanics like working for free, as I'm sure you do. Try getting a refund from a doctor when they don't cure you on the first visit. For some reason, mechanics are held to higher standards than doctors.

The other problem is supplying your own parts. I understand the reason, which is to save money, but that's like bringing your own food to a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you. When the shop supplies the parts, at a small markup, they assume the responsibility if they prove to be defective. When you provide the parts, the shop can legitimately charge you again to replace them the second time. The parts markup they charge goes, in part, to cover the mechanic's labor when he has to do a job over again when it wasn't his fault.

You didn't say what was wrong with the original differential or why it needed to be replaced, so at this point I can only offer that there are different gear ratios available, and you have to find a replacement differential with the same ratio as the rear unit. Assuming you did that, we would need to analyze the original failure, which isn't common at the mileage you listed, to figure out if something is causing it. One thing to consider is if there's a tire on the vehicle that's has a different outer circumference than the rest. That will put a lot of stress on the transfer case, but only when it's in four-wheel-drive.
Monday, April 7th, 2014 AT 4:42 PM
SUPERSHAFTS
What exactly is he claiming the tcase is breaking at the front diff.

What clip?

If you have a awd tcase and the vc is locked up, then what can happen is in tight turns the vehicle will go into bind and it'll usually break spider gears, which left gone unoticed will wreck the rest of the diff and ring and pin gears.

Get some specific detail of what he is saying and or pics also
+1
Sunday, April 13th, 2014 AT 12:42 PM