2002 Mazda Protege ALT belt breaking

BRMAC
  • 2002 MAZDA PROTEGE
I've had this 2002 Protégé for about 4 years. Bought it with approx 90,000 miles on it. From the time I bought it the belt would slip and squeak. I tried tightening it a few times, but it still continued. About 3 months ago I replaced the alternator and water pump. The squeaking stopped, but then the belt started to break. Sometimes it breaks after a day. This last time we tightened it up as much as possible and it lasted about three weeks.
I've read that this is a common problem with this car, but haven't found any definitive solutions. One guy said to change to a deeper belt from.80 to.100. Another said when he took off the ps/ac belt the problem stopped (don't really want to do that) Otherwise, I'm stumped. The last mechanic to work on it said the pulley's appeared aligned and the bearings seemed OK. Any other ideas?
Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 AT 8:54 AM

CADIEMAN
You will need to contact the dealer to check for any service bulletins on this problem.
Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 AT 7:22 PM
You need a belt deflector to deflect the belt 6.5-7.5mm half way between the alternator and the water pump this is for a new belt.

Doubled check the alignment of the belt while engine is idling making sure the belt is on track with the water pump and crankshaft pulley.

You have no technical service bulletin involving the alternator
Wednesday, April 9th, 2014 AT 7:32 PM