MY RADIATOR FAN IS NOT WORKING AND MY ENGINE IS OVERHEATING WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?

2002 Lincoln LS

lemondcycle23

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:02 AM

I was just driving on the interstate, then like 4 hours into the trip the car started to overheat so I turned the heat in the vehical on and the temp went down however I ran into traffic then it took a dump on me. The status indicator advised pulling over and shut off ignition. I did so and let it cool off turned it back on and checked oil level, and coolant levels, both were fine. There were no leaks, so I turned the car on after cooling and checked the engine compartment turns out the radiator fan stopped working. Please help me out.

billymac

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:06 AM

Hi the cooling fan works off from a temp switch that senses when eng temp requires cool down. Also a fan relay so the fan relay fan motor or temp sensor has failed. I would have vehicle scanned for codes this will help pinpoint which one has failed

lemondcycle23

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

I thought the Lincoln IS v-8 doesnt have a relay for the radiator fan. Although I'm not sure. Is this an easy fix?

billymac

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:14 AM

It has a relay but it is integrated into a multifuntion relay. The easiest part to change is the temp sensor

lemondcycle23

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:19 AM

Im almost positive that driving at highway speed will force enough cool air into the radiator to make the vehical drivable on the highway. I mean is there anything I can do mechanically speaking to at least get a temporary fix until the morning?

billymac

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:22 AM

You can turn your air condittioner on or your heat with defroster the fan is designed to come on with the defrosters and the a/c or the temp. If you are just wanting to get home and have a wire handy unplug the plug from the fan hook two wires up one hot one ground fan will run

lemondcycle23

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:26 AM

Thank you very much for the information, you were very helpful.

billymac

February, 18, 2012 AT 1:26 AM

Yw be here all nite

lemondcycle23

February, 18, 2012 AT 2:52 AM

Since your there all night, let me explain the situation right now. I drove 6 hours from Williamsport, PA to Waterbury, CT. I attempted to drive on the freeway because I assumed that with it being 30 degrees outside that the cold air would cool some of the engine heat down. Turns out I made it not even two miles up the interstate and it over heated again. I managed to make it back to the place I was at earlier in a safer area than the ghetto I was in and now I am waiting for the shop next door to open up. Im terrified that I wont be able to make it home i.E. Im freaking the **** out right now. I am not that mechanically familiar with the lincoln so Im pretty much helpless. I don't know what I should do. Just venting I guess, wish I could know whats going on with my car.

billymac

February, 18, 2012 AT 2:57 AM

I understand and you have the right idea to wait for the shop to open I have been in this situation are you at a truck stop or atleast a safe place. It is the best idea driving with this problem will just get you stranded somewhere else. Good luck

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Coolant Drain and Refill