MY RADIATOR FAN IS NOT WORKING AND MY ENGINE IS OVERHEATING WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?

• lemondcycle23
  • 2002 Lincoln LS

I was just driving on the interstate, then like 4 hours into the trip the car started to overheat so I turned the heat in the vehical on and the temp went down however I ran into traffic then it took a dump on me. The status indicator advised pulling over and shut off ignition. I did so and let it cool off turned it back on and checked oil level, and coolant levels, both were fine. There were no leaks, so I turned the car on after cooling and checked the engine compartment turns out the radiator fan stopped working. Please help me out.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:02 AM

• billymac

Hi the cooling fan works off from a temp switch that senses when eng temp requires cool down. Also a fan relay so the fan relay fan motor or temp sensor has failed. I would have vehicle scanned for codes this will help pinpoint which one has failed

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:06 AM
  • lemondcycle23

I thought the Lincoln IS v-8 doesnt have a relay for the radiator fan. Although I'm not sure. Is this an easy fix?

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:11 AM
  • billymac

It has a relay but it is integrated into a multifuntion relay. The easiest part to change is the temp sensor

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:14 AM
  • lemondcycle23

Im almost positive that driving at highway speed will force enough cool air into the radiator to make the vehical drivable on the highway. I mean is there anything I can do mechanically speaking to at least get a temporary fix until the morning?

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:19 AM
  • billymac

You can turn your air condittioner on or your heat with defroster the fan is designed to come on with the defrosters and the a/c or the temp. If you are just wanting to get home and have a wire handy unplug the plug from the fan hook two wires up one hot one ground fan will run

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:22 AM
  • lemondcycle23

Thank you very much for the information, you were very helpful.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:26 AM
  • billymac

Yw be here all nite

• lemondcycle23

Since your there all night, let me explain the situation right now. I drove 6 hours from Williamsport, PA to Waterbury, CT. I attempted to drive on the freeway because I assumed that with it being 30 degrees outside that the cold air would cool some of the engine heat down. Turns out I made it not even two miles up the interstate and it over heated again. I managed to make it back to the place I was at earlier in a safer area than the ghetto I was in and now I am waiting for the shop next door to open up. Im terrified that I wont be able to make it home i.E. Im freaking the **** out right now. I am not that mechanically familiar with the lincoln so Im pretty much helpless. I don't know what I should do. Just venting I guess, wish I could know whats going on with my car.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 2:52 AM
  • billymac

I understand and you have the right idea to wait for the shop to open I have been in this situation are you at a truck stop or atleast a safe place. It is the best idea driving with this problem will just get you stranded somewhere else. Good luck

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 2:57 AM