Radiator fan working engine is overheating

LEMONDCYCLE23
  • 5 POSTS
  • 2002 LINCOLN LS

I was just driving on the interstate, then like four hours into the trip the car started to overheat so I turned the heater on in the vehicle and the temperature went down. However, I ran into traffic then it took a dump on me. The status indicator advised pulling over and shut off ignition. I did so and let it cool off turned it back on and checked oil level, and coolant levels, both were fine. There were no leaks, so I turned the car on after cooling and checked the engine compartment turns out the radiator fan stopped working. Please help me out.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:02 AM

BILLYMAC

Hi, the cooling fan works off from a temperature switch that senses when engine temperature requires cool down. Also, a fan relay so the fan relay fan motor or temperature sensor has failed. I would have vehicle scanned for codes this will help pinpoint which one has failed.

+11
Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:06 AM
LEMONDCYCLE23
  • 5 POSTS

I thought the Lincoln IS v-8 does not have a relay for the radiator fan. Although I am not sure. Is this an easy fix?

+2
Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:11 AM
BILLYMAC

It has a relay but it is integrated into a multinational relay. The easiest part to change is the temperature sensor.

+5
Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:14 AM
LEMONDCYCLE23
  • 5 POSTS

I am almost positive that driving at highway speed will force enough cool air into the radiator to make the vehicle drivable on the highway. I mean is there anything I can do mechanically speaking to at least get a temporary fix until the morning?

-1
Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:19 AM
BILLYMAC

You can turn your air conditioner on or your heat with defroster the fan is designed to come on with the defrosters and the A/C or the temperature. If you are just wanting to get home and have a wire handy unplug the plug from the fan hook two wires up one hot one ground fan will run.

+4
Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:22 AM
LEMONDCYCLE23
  • 5 POSTS

Thank you very much for the information, you were very helpful.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 1:26 AM
BILLYMAC

You are welcome. I will be here all night.

LEMONDCYCLE23
  • 5 POSTS

Since your there all night, let me explain the situation right now. I drove six hours from Williamsport, PA to Waterbury, CT. I attempted to drive on the freeway because I assumed that with it being thirty degrees outside that the cold air would cool some of the engine heat down. Turns out I made it not even two miles up the interstate and it over heated again. I managed to make it back to the place I was at earlier in a safer area than the ghetto I was in and now I am waiting for the shop next door to open up. I am terrified that I will not be able to make it home i.E. I am totally freaking out right now. I am not that mechanically familiar with the Lincoln so I am pretty much helpless. I do not know what I should do. Just venting I guess, wish I could know what is going on with my car.

+2
Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 2:52 AM
BILLYMAC

I understand and you have the right idea to wait for the shop to open. I have been in this situation are you at a truck stop or at least a safe place. It is the best idea driving with this problem will just get you stranded somewhere else. Good luck.

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 2:57 AM