Kia starts, vibrates, dies

BOBAREZO
  • 2002 KIA OPTIMA

Alright so I bought a 2002 Kia Optima 2.4L for cheap cause it was broke, the timing belt broke and all valves got bent, so I installed reman. Head and timing belts, everything is timed perfect including balance shaft, got a tune up, oil change, new cmp sensor but still when all back together, starts for ab 3 seconds, vibrates excessively (like a electric toothbrush on steroids) then dies every time even with map sensor, maf sensor or cmp sensor unplugged (1 at a time) im pretty sure its throwin a code, will have it scanned tomoro. Any ideas of what I need to check

Sunday, July 24th, 2011 AT 5:03 AM

BOBAREZO

Also when I got the car, the three wires that plug into the cmp (camshaft position) sensor are wired directly, idk what order they need to be in and the engine balancer shaft belt was missing, so either someone already looked took it out of someone left it out a while back, if the shaft was somehow messed up and causing vibration, what would leaving the balance shaft belt off do?

+1
Sunday, July 24th, 2011 AT 5:10 AM
MHPAUTOS

You will have to clear all codes and do a re start and report what fresh codes are set.

-1
Sunday, July 24th, 2011 AT 6:57 AM
KHLOW2008

The attached diagram shows the wiring circuit. Hope it is helpful.

Sunday, July 24th, 2011 AT 1:58 PM
BOBAREZO

Thank you for the diagram!
Is the crankshaft position sensor more important than the camshaft position sensor?

Sunday, July 24th, 2011 AT 7:25 PM
KHLOW2008

Both are equally important as each has its own own duties.

Sunday, July 24th, 2011 AT 7:35 PM
BOBAREZO

Ok, scanned it, codes p0340 (CMP sensor bank 1) and p0118 (coolant temp high output) were on there twice, which makes since to why both radiator fans come on as soon as its started and the wiring is wrong on the CMP sensor, well I cleared them and started the car and they came back, but just the cmp sensor not working wouldnt make the motor vibrate so bad that the engine basicly knows to shut off, when it starts for the 3 seconds I can gas it to get the rpms up to ab 4k before it shuts off again

-1
Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 5:13 PM
BOBAREZO

Does anyone know what order the wires to the CMP sensor need to be in from top to bottom, theres a black ground wire, a black signal wire with a few dashes on it, and a pinkish hot wire

-1
Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 5:15 PM
BOBAREZO

Ive done some research and now im pretty sure its the front balance shaft that is drivin off the oil pump pulley, it can be 180 degrees off and still register as being in time

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 5:48 PM
KHLOW2008

The faulty CMP would cause difficult starting and erratic idling and stalling.

The above wiring diagram shows the order of the CMP wires.

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 6:29 PM
BOBAREZO

Ok but even leaving all the wires unplugged from the CMP sensor, the car starts and does the same thing

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 7:06 PM
BOBAREZO

Thanks for the diagram again

Monday, July 25th, 2011 AT 7:07 PM
KHLOW2008

That is akin to having a faulty CMP which would cause stalling after 3 seconds.

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 11:57 AM
BOBAREZO

Lol ok well thank you for all your information, I have learned alot

Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 AT 3:29 AM
BOBAREZO

Ok so I timed the car myself and it starts and runs/sounds awesome and smoothly so the other guy got the front balance shaft 180 degrees out of time but it still dies after a few seconds, I gues il replace the CKP sensor next since the CMP sensor is new and I wired it as the diagrams say to

Friday, July 29th, 2011 AT 9:48 PM
KHLOW2008

Is the Check Engine Light indicating?

Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 4:00 PM
BOBAREZO

Yes still for the CMP sensor code, the ECT sensor code is gone because I found that I had forgot to plug the ECT sensor in when replacing the head, also the fuel pump didnt seem to be working recently, I found that theres no power at the connector for the pump, only for the fuel level sensor, the relay clicks once and hums for a few seconds when key is turned on, I can jumper a wire at the relay connection and get power to the pump

Sunday, July 31st, 2011 AT 6:58 AM
BOBAREZO

Im not really woried about the fuel pump relay right now, I think mayb that system will work when I get the CKP sensor but if not, il go from there, im goin to be running out of things to replace haha

Sunday, July 31st, 2011 AT 7:01 AM
KHLOW2008

The fuel pump would only work for a few seconds when ignition is turned on and fuel pump would not get constant unless the engine is running or while craking.

If the code is still for the CMP, you have not resolved the problem of the sensor yet. It could be the wirings or a faulty CMP/PCM.

Sunday, July 31st, 2011 AT 3:17 PM
BOBAREZO

Well would the CKP sensor throw the same code mayb, ive heard of that, and I know but it doesnt even prime the fuel pump

Sunday, July 31st, 2011 AT 5:47 PM
KHLOW2008

Priming of the fuel pump is not done by the sensors. The ECU controls that.

Monday, August 1st, 2011 AT 5:04 PM