2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

SULOT
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
I definitely know it's something with the transmission. I just need to know is what exact parts do I need, how do I get to said parts to be replaced within the transmission(guide on how to), & if this is something fixable or is it time to get a whole new transmission?
I get the following error codes; p1529, p0760, p0765, & p0755.
Thank you.

Friday, August 7th, 2015 AT 11:18 AM

P0755 - Shift Solenoid B Malfunction
P0760 - Shift Solenoid C Malfunction
P0765 - Shift Solenoid D Malfunction
Code 1529 involves the speed sensor circuit

So you think three parts failed at the same time? It is very doubtful this is a transmission problem. You have to look at what all these things have in common, and that is the computer controller and the wiring.

The way to find out which parts are needed, (if any), is what you pay a mechanic to diagnose. There's no way anyone can do that over a computer. As you've already noticed, diagnostic fault codes never say to replace parts or that they're bad. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition. There are entire books just for troubleshooting these codes.

The "How To" guide you're looking for is the service manual. Don't waste your money for something like this on Haynes or Chiltons manuals. Those only cover things experienced do-it-yourselfers can handle. You need a copy of the manufacturer's service manual, and their Transmission specialty manual if it is a separate manual. In the Transmission section, you'll find a few hundred pages of information, mostly on diagnosing mechanical problems, and rebuilding procedures, torque specs, line drawings, and special tools needed. There will be pages detailing how to replace the speed sensor and shift solenoids, but usually not information on how to diagnose them, ... Usually. That is left up to the individual systems manuals.

I don't mean to sound like a spoil-sport, but the fastest, least expensive, and most effective way to solve whatever problem you're having is to get a mechanic involved. It sounds like you think removing, disassembling, and repairing an automatic transmission is a simple task, but in fact, less than one or two percent of mechanics specialize in this area. All the rest of us can do is remove and replace them. This is a highly-technical and very specialized field, and you only want someone with plenty of experience tearing your transmission apart.

As an alternative to the service manual, you can go to the top of this page, point to "Service and Repair", then click on "Manuals" to be taken to a page where you can buy a subscription for your vehicle. It will include most of what is in the manufacturer's service manuals, and there will be places where other people have posted what they found to solve various fault codes. That's where I found the speed sensor was replaced for code 1529. Solutions for codes 760 and 765 weren't listed.
Sunday, August 9th, 2015 AT 2:10 AM