2002 Holden Rodeo Lack of power

MHPLUMBER
  • 2002 HOLDEN RODEO
  • TURBO
Holden Rodeo 3ltr TD 4x4 manual
2002
About 3 months ago
I put 20ltrs of diesel from a jerry can into car ( tank almost empty, fuel about 1-2mths old)
Within about 15km the car felt like it was starting to miss doing about 100km/hr
After about 80k the car was max speed to about 80km / hr and lacked power and acceleration
Shuddering and missing above 2000rpm
Max freeway speed 75 – 80km hr with car missing and lacking power
I Disconnected the fuel primer pump in an attempt to eliminate that as a problem,
This cause air to enter the fuel system and it took two mechanics about 25min to reprime the car back to operational, including right to the top of the fuel pump, the primmer pump was reconnected.
This had the effect of fix the problem of the car running bad.
In hind sight the performance may not have returned back to peek
Occasionally the car would miss a it did in the first instance, but never more than a single miss
In the last two weeks the car rapidly developed the original problem again and has now got to a point where the car will not do more than about 40-60km and any improvement immediately after start up is short live down to about ½ km and is completely un drivable.
Items tried
New fuel filter
Re removed fuel primer and replaced with inline bulb primer
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 3:07 AM

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
If the original primer is an electric one then youll need to put that back on. Its called a low pressure lift pump. It brings fuel to the engine and theres another high pressure pump there to send it out to the injectors. Ive never tried a squeeze bulb I the place of one of these and I cant say it wont work I just don't think so.
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 3:56 AM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
Id say that you should get a new lift pump if possible, then have the fuel pressure tested
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 3:57 AM
MHPLUMBER
Thank you for quick reply

The problem was manifesting prior to the disconnection of the pump and no change or improvement was made by removing the unit
The unit I have bypassed is the manual unit with round top for manual priming with semi transparent bulb and water sensor,

Thank you

Daniel
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 4:11 AM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
You have a tremendous amount of mileage on this truck, its possible that youre losing compression due to wear. Have you noticed a lot of oil leaks? When the engine loses compression it pressurizes the oil crankcase pushing oil out at crankseals, breathers, and dipstick tubes
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 7:10 AM
MHPLUMBER
I have no oil leaks through dipstick etc,

New info -
when sitting in the drive way
1 first start now take about 5 sec of cranking
2 after letting sit for a short while to settle - holding foot to the floor car will not reach or over red line 4000, just under and then shortly after it drops to about 3000 then 2000 but I sometimes will recover for a few seconds and then continue to worsen with blue smoke from exhaust to about 1500,

I have noted increase in what appears to be fuel pump clicking ( like it running dry )

Dan
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 8:22 PM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
The blue smoke is oil burning out the exhaust. That still points me to ring wear and loss of compression.
Friday, January 31st, 2014 AT 2:30 PM
MHPLUMBER
That is beyond my plumbing skills so of to mechanic

Thank you Very much for your time
Daniel
Friday, January 31st, 2014 AT 9:20 PM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
Youre so welcome. Good luck.
Saturday, February 1st, 2014 AT 7:48 AM
MHPLUMBER
Good afternoon
I have fixed the problem

The connection where the hose connects to the Fuel injection pump is cylinder with a hose tail, and a hollow bolt runs through the connecting to the pump,

Inside this bolt is a gauss that I found to be blocked and restricting the flow

Backwashed with WD40 and all is running great again

Thank you for your time and hope this is helpful to you and others

Daniel
+5
Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 AT 2:48 AM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
Wow that's great! And thanks for telling me. So glad you got it fixed and youre back in the road. Im also glad I was wrong about the engine being worn out! I have seen it many times
+2
Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 AT 4:01 AM