Ford Truck

RENNIE23
  • 2002 FORD RANGER
My 2002 Ford Ranger will not crank. It's like the battery is dead but I changed that. What could it be?
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 11:40 PM

Do any lights work? Do you have a digital voltmeter? If you do, measure the battery voltage.
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 11:48 PM
RENNIE23
Yes the lights work and there is 12.4 volts at the battery and the battery is new.
Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 AT 11:53 PM
Move the meter's negative probe to the engine block, then move the positive probe down the large positive cable to whatever comes next, and measure again while a helper tries to crank the engine.

Ford uses a few different starter circuits. I'm in an on-going conversation with another Ford owner right now, also with a starter problem, so sorry if I get confused between the two vehicles.

Can you tell me if you have a starter relay bolted to the inner fender near the battery? If there is, the positive battery cable will be bolted to one of the two large copper studs. Be sure the cables on those studs are clean and the nuts are tight.
Thursday, May 12th, 2011 AT 2:08 AM
RENNIE23
There is not a starter relay on the inner fender. I can tell you that I'm not getting 12 volts to the solinoid and I have 12 volts at the alternator. I replaced the ignition switch.
-1
Thursday, May 12th, 2011 AT 8:17 PM
Sorry for taking so long to get back. My main computer stopped getting access to this site so I'm on a miserable laptop right now.

Look in the fuse box under the hood for the starter relay. See if you can pop the cover off, reinstall it, then squeeze the contact to see if the starter cranks. (Be sure it's in park if you have the ignition switch turned on). If it cranks, that will prove the high-current battery cables are okay and the starter solenoid is okay.
Monday, May 16th, 2011 AT 8:31 AM