Thermostat Not Moving

CDF1985
  • 2002 FORD RANGER
I drove 100 miles last night in 35 degree weather. My thermostat on my 2002 4 cyl ranger never moved above cold. My check engine light is on. What should I do?
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 6:36 PM

SATURNTECH9
I would check and see when you warm up the engine if both upper and lower radiator hose's are getting hot.I would also go to a auto part's store like auto zone and have them scan it for code's. Let me know the exact code number's you have.
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 6:55 PM
CDF1985
Sorry for the delay. I have been out of town. The hoses are getting warm. My thermostat moves very little when I am driving. When I am idle, it moves the most. When it does move, I turn on my heater or AC and the gauge drops back down to cold again. The code I got at Auto Zone was P0125. I have full coolant/antifreeze in my reservoir. Could it be my thermostat? If so, how much would it be (financially/trouble) to replace? What tools will I need? I am just a college student here. I have some engine work, but I don't want to leave myself stranded.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 10:55 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your hose's should be getting more then warm they should be getting hot. If one is getting hot and other is cold then you most likely have a stuck thermostat. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?
Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 8:40 PM
CDF1985
No. I don't have any tool of that kind at all. Hoses are hot. Someone said that I may have a stuck thermostat or my sensor is bad. But, after driving around for about 3 miles I sat in my truck, idle, and watched my temp rise to almost halfway between hot and cold. My a/c and heat was off. I want to be sure it is my thermostat because it is $120 on account of a special housing it requires.
Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 2:49 AM
SATURNTECH9
If your thermostat was working it would open up and both radiator hose's would be too hot to touch. The code you have has you test the sensor but without a multimeter you cant's test the sensor.
Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 7:58 PM