My 2002 Ford F-250 7.3l diesel fires but will not run.

KEWATTLES
  • 2002 FORD F-250
I checked the oil level and found it was about 2 quarts low so I added oil. It still wouldn't run. I had it towed home and put it on a battery charger. Both batteries read 12.5 volts. I then replaced the Cam Position Sensor. None of this helped. It fires right up but will not run. Help!
Sunday, December 4th, 2011 AT 10:01 PM

Check your fuel pressure it should be 40-60psi keorthat is operating pressure primary pump
Sunday, December 4th, 2011 AT 10:08 PM
KEWATTLES
Don't want to sound too stupid but can you tell me where I should disconnect my fuel line to check the fuel pressure?
Sunday, December 4th, 2011 AT 10:14 PM
You have to disconnect the fule line at the outlet of the fuel pump. Install an adapter and get a reading of 45-80 psi. If not make sure regulator is not full of debris if it is clean it out and test again. If still low replace pump.
Sunday, December 4th, 2011 AT 10:19 PM
KEWATTLES
Ok I'll try that. One more bit of info. I have checked the fuel filter resevior (where the filter is) and it was full before the engine started and after it refused to run. Is that any indication that there is enough fuel pressure?
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 12:34 AM
HOMER1967
What do you mean by fires right up, but will not run?
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 12:42 AM
KEWATTLES
I turn the key and wait for the glow plug light on the dash to go off. As soon as it goes out, I turn the key and the truck starts. It runs for about 5 seconds and then dies. Even if I put the pedal to the floor or pump the pedal, the truck only runs for about 5 seconds. If I turn the key off and then try to start the truck again, it starts right up and only runs for about 5 seconds again. It does this every time.
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 12:54 AM
The resevoir would fill up even if there were not enough pressure. You really need to check the pressure. If it has the correct pressure then suspect a bad injector/leaky, etc. Have a pro look at it.
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 1:12 PM