F-150 Compressor Problem

BILLY D
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Hi, I recently started noticing my idle reving up and down. Its getting worse and worse. Finally I looked under my hood and saw that the compressor fan? Or Belt? Would turn then stop, over and over again. I also noticed the A/C is not blowing cold air. What do you think?
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 8:26 PM

Wild Hunch,

Are your heater controls indicating the DEFROSTER is on?

Defrost also makes your compressor run, it lets the Evaporator take moisture out of the air, before it blows onto your glass. Hence when your A/C is on the water drips underneath.

Another thing to look at is, Is it cycling (clicking on and off) or is it Dragging, because the clutch is messed up.

The Medic
Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 11:24 PM
BILLY D
Its clicking on and off. Most of my controls havent worked in a while. I've needed a heater core and the control switch for a couple years, just havent forked up the money to get fixed. The clicking and the "no cold air" just started however.
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 2:59 PM
Sounds like you might be low on gas (134A?)Can you see the center of the Compressor pulley, stopping and turning, over and over constantly? (Clutch engaging and disengaging, the outer pulley part still in motion, via belt)

That's usually a symptom. Then finally it gets so low on gas, it will not turn at all.

'Round here, you can purchase gas at the parts house. The Fellers at Autozone and Advance Auto, will get you the correct can(S) you might need. Here, they may even help you install it! You may need Gas ONLY, and NOT OIL. Too much oil will hurt things, if your oil has not leaked out, you should be good.

Other than taking it to a shop, I think the parts house will be your next best inexpensive option.

I'm one to Talk, I've driven Jeep CJs since 1981. The only freon ever put in my rig, was transporting it to another vehicle!

Your Turn

The Medic
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 4:37 PM
BILLY D
I'll try that and let you know. Thank you
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 4:44 PM
MR. TRUCK. HOW'S HE A DOIN'?

Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 6:27 AM