Starting problem

ED HICKS
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, I have a starting problem, yesterday it was fine, today I went out and it won't turn over, battery is new, it makes no sounds when the key is turned to start position. There was no wrning at all, never had a problem with it before.
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 6:42 PM

How bright are the head lights? Do they go out or dim when you try to crank the engine? How "new" is the battery? A day old? Week old? Six months?
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 8:24 PM
ED HICKS
The only lights that dim are the dash idiot lights, the battery is 3 months old, my son came over and jumped the starter with the key on and it turned over but didn't fire. COuld it have anything to do with the anti thief system? I;m lost.
-1
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 10:08 PM
If it cranked when the starter was jumped, you know the battery, cables, and connections are okay. Since it didn't start, we know there's two problems that are related. The starter circuit and the Engine Computer circuit are dead. Check the fuses under the hood and inside the truck. I don't think the anti-theft system is the problem but I'm not familiar how that system works. You don't hear of Ford having much trouble with them. GM systems are real effective at keeping owners out of their vehicles so we read about those a lot.
-1
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 11:18 PM
ED HICKS
Ok thanks, I have someone coming that will check the fuses, I'm not able to do it. It will be tomorrow before he gets heres, the one person that could help me is my son who is in Iraq till next March, he;s the one that has done all the maintains on it. I;ll let you know about the fuses. Thank you for all your help
Thursday, August 4th, 2011 AT 4:42 AM
ED HICKS
Well he put a code reader on it and nothing showed up still the same problem, I desperate so I've tried everones suggestions, I was told to disconnect the battery for and hour, reconnect then wait a half hour before trying, they say there is a reset for the security system under the dash but we can't find it. So if you have any suggestions it would be great.
Thursday, August 4th, 2011 AT 9:05 PM
Sorry to leave you hanging. Have you figured it out yet? If the starter relay isn't clicking, you might try bypassing it. I can't find a picture of it so I'm not sure what they used in 2002.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 7:25 AM
ED HICKS
Thanks for your help, I took it to a dealer and it was the sucurelock system, the transcever went out so it didn't recognize the key so when I turned the key it shut off power to the fuel pump and starter.
Thanks again Ed
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 12:11 PM
Happy to hear it's solved.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 8:50 PM