IM HAVING A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THE SHIFTER

2002 Ford Explorer

Anonymous

October, 21, 2012 AT 5:01 PM

I'm having a major problem with the Shifter. Last Night, I turned the truck on, going to pull the the shift to Reverse, but can't, was stuck in Park for about 10 minutes. Then, my dad manage to pull it to R and going to P. Well, it went between the P & R. Won't go back to Park. Have to leave it in Neutral and put the E-Brake on. And the Brake lights don't work. Can you help me and my dad. We don't have the money to go to the shop. This is the 2nd time it has happen.

October, 21, 2012 AT 5:22 PM

The brake lights not working caused the shift interlock to prevent the shifter from being moved out of park. Forcing the shifter out of park would damage the interlock mechanism. You would need to remove the console cover to check what damage had been done and rectify. Hopefuly it is ony a bent rod whch can be repaired by straightening it out.

Of course you need to get the brake lights working too. It could be a blown fuse or a bad brake switch.

Reverse Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Fog Light Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro