2002 Ford Escape non start

BIG MACS
  • 2002 FORD ESCAPE
I just replace the engine in my 02 ford escape. The replacement engine came out of a mercury sable. The engine looked the same except for the front cover which I changed. I also used all of the sensors from the original engine.
My problem is that I cant get the engine to start. I seem to have fuel, fire and good compression but the motor will not start.
Tuesday, May 6th, 2014 AT 6:37 PM

WRENCHTECH
The engine used in the Sable and the engine used in the Escape are not the same engine and to my knowledge, they are not interchangeable..
Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 AT 2:37 AM
BIG MACS
Ok. Well I both engines and they look identical except for the front cover/timing chain cover. I took the cover from the old escape engine and put on the other engine and used the original intake and sensors.
There is no noticeable difference in the engines and their setup. If you can please advise me of the difference I would really appreciate that.
Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 AT 8:38 AM
WRENCHTECH
They use different VIN identification numbers so they are made differently somehow and probably require different operating systems. I can't tell you any more than that.
Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 AT 12:09 PM
BIG MACS
I am confused because one ford expert sais the engine will work and they look exactly alike. And you said they are different even though they look alike. Im confused
Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 AT 8:58 PM
WRENCHTECH
Engines are identified by a specific digit in the VIN number. When the same number is used over different car lines, you know they are using the same engine, when the VIN identification of the engine is listed differently, that will mean the engines are different in some way. The car uses a VIN "U" engine and the truck uses a VIN "1" engine.
The truck engine is a "Duratec" engine and the Taurus engine is not.
Thursday, May 8th, 2014 AT 2:39 AM
BIG MACS
Interestingly enough the Taurus and the sable engine is different. The Taurus engine has the plugs to the side of the head while the sable has the plugs in the top of the head between the cams just like the escape. The only obvious difference is that the sable has a coil pack and wires while the escape has individual coil packs that go on each plug. This has really got me turn upside down.
Thanks for your patience. If you find anything that will help me out let me know.
Big Macs
Thursday, May 8th, 2014 AT 9:21 AM
WRENCHTECH
Of course that's not going to work. You don';t have anything to operate that system.
Thursday, May 8th, 2014 AT 9:47 AM