CV Boot

RONALLYN09@AOL.COM
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
2002 Dodge 1500 4X4 - CV Boot has disintegrated. How dangerous is it to drive, what potential problems will arise if I don't get it fixed immediately, and, approximately how much will it cost to fix. (Assuming it hasn't damaged anything other than the boot)
Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 8:26 PM

Can't give you a cost, but you won't notice any problem driving it for months. I don't mean drive it for months like that. I mean no problem is likely to show up for months. The dealer has repair kits with a new boot and the proper amount of grease. As a steering, suspension, and alignment specialist at a very nice Chrysler dealership for nine years, I never saw a cv joint on a full size truck up to 1999. Dakotas used them but I never needed to replace a boot on one of them. The boot kit for a Caravan runs around $30.00. It's about half that from the auto parts stores. Those take about an hour to replace. All of the trucks I worked on had regular universal joints.

You should have the boot replaced as soon as possible to keep water, road salt, and dirt out. The roller balls and grooves they ride in are machined to very tight tolerances to make them quiet. Dirt is the enemy.

Sunday, December 5th, 2010 AT 8:48 PM

Sponsored links