2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L

DAKOTABOY2002
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
Hello, my question is my Dakota is making this loud sound when accelearting had a friend with me sounds like its coming from the Drivers side of the car, its like a burst of air only really happens when going above 2 RPM's, does not happen while idling or at startup, could this be the cat converter? I checked the muffler doesn't seem like there is a hole in it, ive heard about cat converters getting clogged, also NO check engine lights are on as of now, but the acceleration is really slow, let me know if you need anymore information thanks guys
Monday, September 17th, 2012 AT 12:42 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Sounds like you are on the right track. You can verify it by checking the back pressure

Monday, September 17th, 2012 AT 1:17 AM
DAKOTABOY2002
How do I check the back pressure?
Monday, September 17th, 2012 AT 1:07 PM
DAKOTABOY2002
Update: heres something else I noticed when I was driving this morning it was sounding ok, but once the engine heated up, I live in Denver, it started making the sounds again, im looking like its the Cat converter and it makes sense that it would be doing that and not tripping the check engine lights, so if I take to a shop just tell them thats the issue and have them replace the cat coverter?
Monday, September 17th, 2012 AT 6:45 PM
ASEMASTER6371
No, let them do there job and tell you the issue. They are the pros.
Do you go to the doctors and tell the doctor what is wrong with you? Just a comparison.

Tell him the same story you told us and let them go with it and come back with there findings.

A loose material in a cat will not code.

Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 2:02 AM
DAKOTABOY2002
Taking it to thursday when the exhaust mechanic is there, its hissing pretty bad, will update and let you guys know what it was, question though, where is the vacuum hose? I just want to check it for my own sake, since im guessing its either that or that cat converter thanks, if there was a way I could record the sound and post it on here to listen to.
Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 AT 11:42 PM
DAKOTABOY2002
It was the catalyic converter, there was pieces of banging around inside, they got it fixed for me, thanks for all the help, hope this helps other who have this problem
Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 2:27 AM