2002 Dodge Caravan Trans or selenoid

SETHMOM1
  • 2002 DODGE CARAVAN
Hello my 02 dodge grand caravan has 145000 miles Tuesday morning my cel came on still driving fine I went home to pick up my fiancé to go get it checked pulled into the driveway waited for my fiancé to get in then put it in reverse to leave. It tried to go forward but didn't move except a few inches forward? Weird put in drive and it just revved at that point I turned it off and immediately checked the trans fluid filled just fine to the hot line did not smell burnt I then called my uncle thinking that the trans was blown he agreed before junking it since I wasn't about to put 1-4k on a van I payed $2500 for a family friend came to check the codes only one p0740 I don't remember exactly but is said something was out of range and something about an open circuit he told me don't junk it look into it? I have tried to look into it but I am no mechanic please help!
Saturday, November 16th, 2013 AT 11:23 AM

A po740 is for the torque converter clutch circuit. A few things can cause this, low or dirty fluid, a faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve, the torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted, or torque converter clutch solenoid valve electrical connection is bad. This is going to require a tech to check the solenoid and electrical system between the trans control module and the solenoid. Do you have any experience to do this type of work? It can get difficult.

Let me know.
Saturday, November 16th, 2013 AT 3:51 PM
SETHMOM1
I am not a mechanic at all lol I need to get my van fixed my fiancé my two year old son and I (seven months pregnant) are living in a motor home with no running water and minimal heat we live in Indiana and it's almost December snow is already falling December first we are supposed to move into a rental home but not if I have to spend more than a couple hundred on fixing my van because we won't have enough money for the deposit so I am trying to find out what the problem is so I can try to fix it myself or my step dad
Saturday, November 16th, 2013 AT 4:54 PM
Wow! That isn't good. I hate to say it, but you need special equipment to test the TCM and the clutch. Is there anyone that you know that would have the equipment and allow you to use it or maybe cut you a break on the cost?
Sunday, November 17th, 2013 AT 3:04 PM
SETHMOM1
Where are the tcm and the clutch located is the transmission going to need to be dismounted in order to check these I have some one that may be able to do it by we néed to know where the selenoid is to
Saturday, November 23rd, 2013 AT 6:47 AM