ENGINE MISFIRING GOES AWAY IF I ACCELERATE FAST. MECHANIC IS STUMPED.

2002 Chrysler Town and Country

Higgalo

June, 10, 2012 AT 6:19 PM

I have 2002 town and country 3.8 with 130,000 miles on it. I drove it one day and everything was fine. Parked it, went to a store, came out, started it and it was running rough. On the way home it was pretty bad, can was loosing power and shaking. Took it to my mechanic. He said it was showing a misfire on one of the cylinders, he also made the engine misfire purposely and notice the computer was not picking up the misfire, so he put in a new computer, plugs, wires, coil, I think a fule injector, changed the whole wire harness from the computer to the engine because the old one was melted and all the wires exposed. Compression was ok. It is still running the same, and still misfiring. He said the fuel is running lean? I drove it the other day and noticed that on the highway at a steady 55mph the can seeme fine. When I would accelerate, around 2000 rmp, the problem was very pronounced. Once I got over 60 mph it seemed ok again. The problem still exists when driving normal in the city. I've dropped $860 so far and am looking for any advice. Should I give up? Is this a common thing with these vans?
Thanks for any help!

Mis Fire -

June, 10, 2012 AT 6:30 PM

Go to this walk thru link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-misfires-or-runs-rough

June, 10, 2012 AT 6:33 PM

If equipped with EGR, check that it is functioning correctly.