HAVE A POWER STEERING NOISE

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer

chad73

January, 3, 2012 AT 2:11 AM

Noise coming from the power steering pulley, when the engine is running, but when u spray any kind of lube on the belt at the belt when it goes around the pulley it goes away for a short time, 1st I changed the tensioner, idler pulley, even a new belt, but nothing has worked.

fixitmr

January, 3, 2012 AT 3:08 AM

What kind of noise? Is steering fine? Does noise increase with steering pressure?

chad73

January, 3, 2012 AT 3:14 AM

Like a squealing noise, like a slipping belt, steering is fine, the noise gets a little loader when rpm goes up, no steering problems just the noise, when I spray lube on the belt above the tensioner and it goes around the pulley it goes away for a short time until the lube wares off, took belt off and cleaned all pulleys and belt off with breakclean, don't know what else to try

fixitmr

January, 3, 2012 AT 4:43 AM

At idle does turning wheel increase noise? Does belt tension seem ok? Does belt flow smooth in motion no bouncy tensioner or wheels?

chad73

1st? No it does not increase noise, new tensioner, no bounce it is smooth, the noise will increase a little when rpms goes up to running rpm. I do have a left side sway bar link missing could the flex in the frame make the noise on the right side because of the missing link?

fixitmr

January, 7, 2012 AT 10:35 AM

I ALWAYS fix anything obvious before I determine reasons for a problem like a noise. Has saved me alot of grief before.

chad73

I got the swaybar links and installed them, still have noise, going to try to see if I can shim the pump pulley to see if that works.

chad73

January, 9, 2012 AT 1:18 AM

I figured it out, I had to shim out the power steering pump, thanks for the info

Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200