HAVE A POWER STEERING NOISE

• chad73
  • 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer

Noise coming from the power steering pulley, when the engine is running, but when u spray any kind of lube on the belt at the belt when it goes around the pulley it goes away for a short time, 1st I changed the tensioner, idler pulley, even a new belt, but nothing has worked.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 2:11 AM

• fixitmr

What kind of noise? Is steering fine? Does noise increase with steering pressure?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 3:08 AM
  • chad73

Like a squealing noise, like a slipping belt, steering is fine, the noise gets a little loader when rpm goes up, no steering problems just the noise, when I spray lube on the belt above the tensioner and it goes around the pulley it goes away for a short time until the lube wares off, took belt off and cleaned all pulleys and belt off with breakclean, don't know what else to try

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 3:14 AM
  • fixitmr

At idle does turning wheel increase noise? Does belt tension seem ok? Does belt flow smooth in motion no bouncy tensioner or wheels?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 4:43 AM
  • chad73

1st? No it does not increase noise, new tensioner, no bounce it is smooth, the noise will increase a little when rpms goes up to running rpm. I do have a left side sway bar link missing could the flex in the frame make the noise on the right side because of the missing link?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 11:46 PM
  • fixitmr

I ALWAYS fix anything obvious before I determine reasons for a problem like a noise. Has saved me alot of grief before.

Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 10:35 AM
  • chad73

I got the swaybar links and installed them, still have noise, going to try to see if I can shim the pump pulley to see if that works.

Saturday, January 7th, 2012 AT 11:29 PM
  • chad73

I figured it out, I had to shim out the power steering pump, thanks for the info

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 1:18 AM