Tried to start, turned over the first time but didnt ignite, just clicked repeatedly the second time

TAHOE037
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE

I tried multiple times and it did the same thing each time. I am thinking its the starter or spark plugs because it wouldn't ignite but would turn over the first time.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:23 AM

PROMECHANIC
  • 551 POSTS

The first thing to check is your battery cable connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. The next thing to do is have your battery load tested. You can also check it yourself by getting a voltmeter reading when it is just sitting there and another when you are trying to start it.
If you want more help then let me know what voltage the battery has. You can get a cheap voltmeter at walmart or any auto parts store.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:29 AM
TAHOE037

Well I had it to a shop maybe 3 weeks ago, they did a battery inspection and said it was fine. Ill try that tomorrow but if thats not the case whats should be my next course of action?

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:36 AM
PROMECHANIC
  • 551 POSTS

The next thing I would suspect (After making SURE that the battery is good. Be sure it is "load tested") is the starter. You can try to knock on it with a hammer to see if it breaks free. You can also see if it is getting battery voltage when you try to start it.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 4:43 AM