2002 Chevrolet Silverado crank sensor

• 1 POST

I have a 02 chevy 4x4 2500 gas 6.0. It was running fine but my stater bendix was not engaging well I went to the shop to have the starter rebuilt by a very well known good local buisness. Itook the starter off in the parking lot after removing the hot wire on battry and took it in to have it rebuilt it was done in about 45 mins and I put it back on and it cranked over awsome but would not start so I called chevy dealer they saY EIGTHER security system or crank sensor. The security indicator is not on but I did the security overide anyways then I replaced the crank sensor and still the same thing. My fuel pump is running so I went ahead and changed fuel filter still no start go get a cpu to read the truck and it comes back as malfuctioning crank sensor so I take it back to autozone and go get on from orielys and still the same thing.I cleared the code and waited and tryed again and the code didnt come back for alittle while but is now sending code again. When I put the second new crank sensor in it acted like it was gonna start at first but it did not.I am stranded !Any help please

Friday, April 4th, 2014 AT 11:40 PM

I don't know what OVERRIDE you did because there is no such thing. Maybe you meant Passlock relearn.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.(This may me tricky on that engine because the injectors are not exposed)

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Saturday, April 5th, 2014 AT 4:09 AM