2002 Chevrolet Cavalier No start condition.

S55580B
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My friends 2002 cavalier 4cyl, automatic, would not crank. I had him put it neutral & still no crank.I jumped the starter solenoid with the key "on" & cranked & started right up. He drove it home & tried it a few more times & it started ok. He drove to work the next day & after work it would not crank again. He put it in neutral & it started this time. ( Wouldn't start in neutral the previous day.) Any thoughts?
Thursday, August 8th, 2013 AT 7:10 PM

YOU JUMPED "S" TO "HOT" ON THE STARTER SOLENOID (THUS ACTIVATING THE SOLENOID)

................OR YOU JUMPED "HOT" TO THE "STARTER WIRE" ON THE SOLENOID (BYPASSED THE SOLENOID "ACTION" )?????............IF THAT MAKES SENSE!

SEVERAL POSSIBILITIES (THAT I CAN COME UP WITH)

NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH

IGNITION SWITCH

LOOSE CONNECTIONS IN THE STARTING SYSTEM

.......SOLENOID

JUST A COINCIDENCE?????????????....TOUCHING STUFF....TEMPERATURE (EXPANSION/ CONTRACTION)....HUMIDITY WILL AFFECT CORROSION TOO...... LOOSE/ CORRODED CONNECTIONS.......SEE "MY ANSWER" IN THIS LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

JUST TODAY, I DEALT WITH A JEEP WRANGLER OWNER.......SAID HE HAD CHECKED IT ALL!!!.......COMPLAINT WAS "SLOW STARTING/ DRAGGING STARTER"..............SHORE-NUFF, IT WAS, WHEN HE CRANKED IT UP FOR ME!.........I WALKED UP CLOSER AND REMOVED THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CLAMP WITH AN EVER SO SLIGHT TWIST....BARE-HANDED!!!!............THE BATTERY CLAMP WAS CRACKED AND COULD NOT TIGHTEN ANY MORE.........HE HAD "CHECKED IT ALL!"

PLEASE RETURN WITH A BIG OLE GRIN!

LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 AT 7:43 PM
S55580B
I jumped "S" directly to Battery positive post with a remote starter button w/leads. That tells me that starter & solenoid are good. Now that you mentioned it, it sounds like I might have a "poor" connection somewhere, possibly a ground strap or wire. Not a separated connection but a corroded (poor) connection. This thing does have "big" miles on it. Thanks, I'll let you know what I find.
Thursday, August 8th, 2013 AT 8:05 PM
ROGER!

A LITTLE DIELECTRIC GREASE ON THEM CONNECTIONS WHEN YOU TAKE 'EM APART AND CLEAN 'EM

. REALLY WON'T HURT A THING!

I HOPE IT'S A NO BRAINER. EZ TO GET TO!

ONE OTHER QUESTION. WIFEY THINKS I'M AN IDIOT. DO YOU UNDERSTAND MY "STYLE" OF ANSWERING. WHAT ABOUT THE LINK I SORTA SLUNG IN THERE, DID YOU VIEW IT.I'M SORTA ONE OF THOSE "RURAL ROUTE FELLERS". THIS AIN'T A SURVEY, I SELDOM GET FEEDBACK

AWAITING GOOD NEWS!

Thursday, August 8th, 2013 AT 8:18 PM
S55580B
A few days go I was lucky to have this intermittent no crank happen to me. I was able to have a helper hold the key in the crank position. During this no crank moment I probed the "S" terminal on the starter with a 12 volt test lite. ( We previously cleaned & lubed these terminals.) The test lite was lit. The starter drive gear would not "come down the chute" & the starter would not spin. Had to be the solenoid. Instead of a whole starter assembly, ($180.00), we put a solenoid on it ($42.00). Done.
Saturday, August 17th, 2013 AT 9:18 PM
VERY GOOD!

I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE AT, I WAS GONNA THROW THIS AT YOU WHEN YOU NEEDED A PART

THIS MAY WORK FOR YOU....OR MAYBE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING SIMILAR AT ANOTHER STORE. I'M OVER HERE IN S.C. ........ME AND "MINE" HAVE SAVED A TON!!!

THIS IS FOR "ADVANCE AUTO PARTS" (DOES NOT WORK WITH OILS, OR ITEMS ON SALE)......THIS MIGHTA SAVED YOU $10 !!!........SCROLL IT ALL THE WAY TO THE END (ADVERTISEMENTS MIGHT FOOL YA)

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-dodge-neon-milage-just-want-put-fliuds-their-locations

LEMME KNOW IF THIS MIGHT HELP YOU LATER

Sunday, August 18th, 2013 AT 6:10 AM