2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER HARD TO START

• DeannaMW23
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

My car turns over but does not want to start. If I give it gas it will start but then sputter. Ive taken it to 2 different shops and they cant figure it out. Ive had a fuel pressure test ran that showed nothing, throttle body cleaned, injectors cleaned, and there are no check engine lights on. Also this doesn't happen every time I start the car, about 80% of the time and it doesn't matter if its sat long or not. It just doesn't start if it doesn't fell like it I guess. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 6:30 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Did the shops have the vehicle when it wouldn't start? If not, have you checked to see if there is spark to the plugs and proper fuel pump pressure when it does this? Also, are battery terminals clean and tight as well as the ground to the engine block?

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 8:36 PM
  • DeannaMW23

Yes they had it when it wouldn't start. Plugs are good, ground is good and battery terminals are clean.

Saturday, August 24th, 2013 AT 5:36 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Can you tell me if the plugs were getting spark and the fuel pump pressure was within the manufacturer's specs?

Saturday, August 24th, 2013 AT 12:07 PM
  • DeannaMW23

The plugs are getting good spark and the fuel pump tested fine. They said the fuel pressure test showed nothing.

Saturday, August 24th, 2013 AT 12:28 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Okay. If the fuel pressure is good (I don't know why they said it showed nothing) and you have good spark, the engine should run unless one of the following issues is occurring.

1) No power to the injectors (Even though fuel pressure is good, no fuel is getting to the engine)
2) Low engine compression
3) Engine timing is off.

Try this for me. See if the engine will start for a few seconds with starting fluid and let me know what happens.

Saturday, August 24th, 2013 AT 7:10 PM