HARD TO START

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

DeannaMW23

August, 23, 2013 AT 6:30 PM

My car turns over but does not want to start. If I give it gas it will start but then sputter. Ive taken it to 2 different shops and they cant figure it out. Ive had a fuel pressure test ran that showed nothing, throttle body cleaned, injectors cleaned, and there are no check engine lights on. Also this doesn't happen every time I start the car, about 80% of the time and it doesn't matter if its sat long or not. It just doesn't start if it doesn't fell like it I guess. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

Jacobandnickolas

August, 23, 2013 AT 8:36 PM

Did the shops have the vehicle when it wouldn't start? If not, have you checked to see if there is spark to the plugs and proper fuel pump pressure when it does this? Also, are battery terminals clean and tight as well as the ground to the engine block?

DeannaMW23

August, 24, 2013 AT 5:36 AM

Yes they had it when it wouldn't start. Plugs are good, ground is good and battery terminals are clean.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 24, 2013 AT 12:07 PM

Can you tell me if the plugs were getting spark and the fuel pump pressure was within the manufacturer's specs?

DeannaMW23

August, 24, 2013 AT 12:28 PM

The plugs are getting good spark and the fuel pump tested fine. They said the fuel pressure test showed nothing.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 24, 2013 AT 7:10 PM

Okay. If the fuel pressure is good (I don't know why they said it showed nothing) and you have good spark, the engine should run unless one of the following issues is occurring.

1) No power to the injectors (Even though fuel pressure is good, no fuel is getting to the engine)
2) Low engine compression
3) Engine timing is off.

Try this for me. See if the engine will start for a few seconds with starting fluid and let me know what happens.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right