Coolant

AMM
  • 2002 BUICK RENDEZVOUS
  • AWD
I am replacing the thermostat in a 2002 Buick rendezvous. I took the necessary hoses loose but no coolant came out? When I checked it before I started the repair there was coolant in the tank. Where did it go?
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 2:33 AM

WRENCHTECH
Just because there is coolant in the reserve tank does not mean the radiator is automatically full. I don't know why you are changing the thermostat but you have other issues there that need to be found. You need to pressure test test the cooling system to find out wheere that coolant went and pray you didn't blow a head gasket already from overheating it.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 2:46 AM
AMM
The vehicle did not have any heat in the heaters at all. Ice cold. That is why the thermostat was being changed.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 3:41 AM
WRENCHTECH
Not having enough coolant will give the same symptoms.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 10:32 AM
AMM
The coolant was full. It was checked.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 2:11 PM
WRENCHTECH
You just said no coolant came out when you removed the hoses. That completely disproves that.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 2:31 PM
AMM
Before the thermostat job was started the coolant was checked and it was full. Both in the jug and in the radiator. Don't quite know why it didn't show up anywhere. There was none in the crankcase either.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 2:51 PM
AMM
We have replaced the thermostat, the vehicle engine does not overheat anymore so apparently the thermostat was bad. We have refilled it with coolant, bled the lines, tightened the radiator cap, checked for leaks but the heater does not heat. Any suggestions?
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 9:56 PM
WRENCHTECH
With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch.
If you find that they are both too hot to hold, then the heat in that vehicle is controlled by a blend door that regulates heated air flow. It is operated by an electric motor/actuator. The problem can be that the actuator is stripped or inoperative or the door itself could be damaged. This is what needs to be determined by examining the actuator and see if it is responding to heat change commands or not.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 10:30 PM
AMM
Thank you Wrenchtech for your help. It turned out to be the radiator cap wasn't on tight enough to get the water circulating. Now the heater works.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 11:14 PM
WRENCHTECH
Radiator cap?
About the only thing that is going to cause is coolant loss. It has nothing to do with circulation but has everything to do with the system drawing the fluid from the reservoir when the engine cools down.
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 11:26 PM
AMM
Well, that's all it took after we got the thermostat in. That was faulty. If the cap is screwed down tight the coolant doesn't build up pressure to flow. It just escapes the system. This is my last transmission. Again thanks.
-1
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 12:55 AM