Trust issues

KARA
  • 2001 VOLVO S40
I have a 2001 S40. I have been concerned about the slow crank. The temp sensor was indicated as a possible problem and was replaced. It hasn't fixed the problem. This particular shop indicated an estimated 2 1/2 labor time to replace the sensor. Last year, another shop estimated one hour replacement labor. Before we began the work they said that the car had trouble idling and stalled on them - NOT what I had experienced. Not sure I trust them to go back. Taking out the temp sensor doesn't make sense if they're going to charge me another 2 1/2 hours to save me the $74 on the sensor. Any thoughts?
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 4:58 PM

DR. HAGERTY
Not being Volvo savvy, all I can add is a slow crank and the age of the car might indicate a problem with the battery. The temp sender sounds like a diagnostic that I cannot agree with, being that a temp sender and a slow crank do not seem to me to be related. A check of the voltage whilst cranking will be enlightening, it should never drop below 10 volts during a crank test.
Monday, January 17th, 2011 AT 7:55 PM