2001 Toyota Sienna Starting Issue

MCHMASTER
  • 2001 TOYOTA SIENNA
Hi. So my car has been having this starting issue for the last couple days. It comes and goes. What happens is this. I will turn the key in the ignition, and sometimes there will be a brief 1/2 sec to 2 second pause before it starts. If I listen closely, I can hear a humming sound, but there is not the clicking sound that I have heard from a dead battery. A couple times, I have not been able to get the car started at all, it will just hum away, and then I will come back thirty or forty minutes later and it will start fine. Today, I drove around a lot, and after I arrived home, I turned off the car, and then immediately tried to turn it on again, but it wouldn't. I came back thirty minutes later and it started fine. The car does not have a hard time starting once it starts (if that makes sense). It starts right away, except for the pause after I turn the key. Sometimes there is no discernible pause. I really hope that you can help me out here. Thank you for your time.
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 8:43 PM

MIKEDEROUIN88
The solonoid on the starter may be sticking. Check that the small wire on the starter is tight and with the key on check the same wire for power.
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 8:58 PM
MCHMASTER
I will find a voltmeter to test the power.
Saturday, June 1st, 2013 AT 7:53 AM
Test power at starter see if it's the same as battery then have starter tested for draw. If it doesn't say expert in parenthesis by the name the answer is not from 2car pros
Sunday, June 2nd, 2013 AT 8:35 AM