Engine idle dies, bogs and bucks when driving if you try to give it gas

JAMINJAMEN
  • 2001 SATURN SL1
Saturn SL1 2001 manual

I've been having random high idle for a year. Would happen every time I started the car cold. Would happen about 50% of the time during driving when clutch is depressed. Most of the time at around 2000 and occasionally more up to instances of 3000+. Maybe it would go higher, always shut it off when it tries that. Only way to bring it down is to turn car off and restart. This past week it's been out of control. Occuring almost 100% of the time clutch is depressed. Shutting off still works but now it comes right back. Tonight, after driving all day and then sitting in parking lot for about 4 hours, I started her and drove a couple of miles in town to a drive-through, where I had to shut her off and restart her to kill the high idle. About a minute later the idle bottomed out and tried to die. Tried to catch her but lost her and almost couldn't get her restarted. Had to feather the gas because simply depressing the pedal would make it die. Now at the beginning of every gear she will buck and try to die if I attempt to give it gas at all. I made it home by letting her accelerate herself up through the gears. I could give her some gas at the upper part of each gear and shifting up late would help get passed the lower ends but from a stop, getting through the first 3 gears takes forever. Took it to Autozone and here are my codes:

P0172
P0300
P0442

What just happened to her today? She's practically undriveable as of tonight.

Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 AT 7:13 AM

MHPAUTOS
Start with full tune check compressions and get the ignition system voltages check, this is best done on a oscilloscope, this will give you coil voltages, I would also be cleaning the iac and throttle body, check for a vacuum leak in the EVAP system (P0442) the other codes relate to fuel trim and engine misfire code, start here.
Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 AT 7:20 AM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one from 1999-2002 S model single overhead cam engine when saturn was building the engine they wrinkled some of the intake manifold gaskets causing vacuum leaks later down the road. Its a lot more common with the 2000-2002 ones though I have replaced a lot of these gaskets for them leaking. You can usually see them wrinkled up if you take a flash light and look between the head and intake manifold.I also use carb spray to find and verify the leak by letting the engine idle while spraying around the gasket looking for a increase or decrease in rpms or the engine just dying. Also I would check the coolant temp sensor saturn has had a problem with those sensors with every year the S model was made. They will cause all kinds of symptoms dying surging no starts overheating anyone or any number of syptoms. Also the sensors leak coolant into the connectors corroding them. So when you check the sensor look at the terminals of the connector if there green or blue instead of silver you will have to replace the connector also. You can check the sensor with a multimeter with a ohms check. Do you have a multimeter?A bad coolant temp sensor I have seen cause false codes on those cars also. As far as the code P0442 the first thing I would check is the gas cap if its loose also remove and see if the rubber seal is cracking weather checked damaged etc. If it is it can set the P0442.
Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 AT 4:53 PM
SATURNTECH9
Forgot to mention also check for a clogged cat.
Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 AT 5:13 PM