2001 PONTAIC GRAND AM 3.4 PROBLEMS WITH THE GEAR SHIFTER SEEMS LIKE ITS IN NETURAL BUT IS IN DRIVE

• joeyntori3
  • 2001 Pontiac Grand Am

My car just wont drive. I parked on a down-wards hill and ever since I left that hill my car wont shift. I've checked my transmition fluid, my cadilac converter is not clogged. Plz help

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 10:37 PM

• factoryjack

You mention checking the fluid, is it full, not burned? Is there a check engine light on, any noises? Does it just have no forward gears, but has reverse, or no gears at all?

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 11:05 PM
  • joeyntori3

I'm not 100% its full because I dont have a dips stick. No new noises other than when ur driving u go to push the gas n it acts like its in netural it drives but had troubles getting over 30 35 mph. Has reverse and when u put it in the 1st 2nd and 3rd it will drive ok juss dont drive in drive

Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 8:25 PM
  • factoryjack

Without knowing it is truly full of fluid, and the condition that fluid is in, there isn't much recommendation I can make. The symptom you describe could be internal transmission related, or it could be related to low fluid level. Obviously, to have low fluid level, that would suggest a leak. Is it leaking transmission fluid at all?

Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 9:20 PM
  • joeyntori3

No the car does not leak anything, and I did not see if I lost fluids when I was parked on the hill. What about a solenoid is bad in my tranny?

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 9:33 PM
  • joeyntori3

Never mind I paid 2 $ for something I could figure out my self! Ty tho

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 9:43 PM
  • rivermikerat

Joey, not having a dipstick could actually allow transmission fluid to evaporate out. Not knowing if it's full, or what condition the fluid is in makes it difficult to decide whether the problem is fluid related or component related.

You may be experiencing symptoms related to a bad solenoid that could also be caused by low fluid level or burned fluid.

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 AT 7:29 AM