Over heating

DARLENE Q
  • 2001 NISSAN SENTRA
Change the thermostat, waterpump, temperature switch, coolantsensor, but it still overheating
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 12:10 AM

Check the radiator if its clogged, radiator cap condition and water pump doing its job if all okay get it block and pressure tested to find out more
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 12:16 AM
DARLENE Q
Where would I get it tested for the block and pressure
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 12:38 AM
You can buy the bloc check/chemical test at a parts store to rule the headgasket
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 12:54 AM
GTECHENGNR
My 2002 Nissan Sentra (150k miles) is acting similarly. No blown Head Gasket, Water Pump and Thermostat are good.
.
Does not happen everytime, but maybe once or twice a month. When this happens the engine will get Hot (close to the "H") but the temp will go up and down between 2/3 hot and hot (thermostat opening and closing).
.
What I have noticed when this happens is that my Overflow tank gets completely full. Like your truck, if I crack the Radiator cap, to vent, the cooling begins acting normally and the heater works fine. The last time it happened, I pulled over, vented the radiator, and literally blew into the overflow tank to get the fluid back into my radiator. Hunky-Dorey after that so far.
.
Several mechanic friends of mine are stumped. I have had my Radiator and Cap pressure tested, and they're fine.
.
My best guess is there is some kind of "vapor" lock, or maybe reverse vacuum, that keeps the water in the radiator when the Theromstat opens for the first time. From then on the fluid just goes into the over flow.
.
I am going to try "back filling" my system by removing the thermostat and then the lower hose from the radiator and pouring coolant into the hose until the hose (and hopefully engine) is full. Reconnect the lower radiator hose and thermostat, and then top off the radiator.
.
Hopefully, with the cooling system truly "filled" I won't have this vacuum or vapor lock issue any more.
.
Still trying to figure this one out. It's ridiculous to have an over heated engine whole you're freezing you tail off inside the vehicle.
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 3:42 PM