Getting No Heat

TIM4960
  • 2001 NISSAN SENTRA
I just bought a Sentra 2001 w/ 150,000 miles. Was getting no heat at all, changed and filled radiator, then thermostat and then water pump. Changed and flushed radiator and still no heat or power.

Bringing it to the garage it suddenly lost power and would buck if I applied gas over 20 mph.

Garage says I blew head gasket but no white smoke. What do you think. Please Help!
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 3:10 AM

PROAUTOTECH
If it's running fine, I would try flushing the heater core. Look under the hood, find the hose from the water pump that goes to the heater core near the firewall. Also find the return line for the heater core. With them both unhooked, attach a garden hose to one end (clamps, duct tape, whatever holds it) and turn it on. You should only be flushing the heater core and not the block. You may get wet, and with some coolant. If you can't get a good flow, the core may be severely blocked. Possibly try flushing the other way. If still no succcess, try pouring in some CLR and waiting for the substance to take effect. If still no avail, buy a heater core. But only do any of this if your car is running just fine but you have no heat. Thanks!
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 3:20 AM
YOU MIGHT LOOK THRU THESE

ONE IS ABOUT FLUSHING THE HEATER CORE

OTHERS DISCUSS HEATER OPERATION---IF YOUR HEATER HOSES ARE HOT, RULE OUT THE CORE BEING STOPPED UP, COULD POSSIBLY BE BLEND DOORS OPERATION AND ACTUATORS
THIS ONE WAS SORTA INTERESTING (I DID NOT LOOK INTO IT) BUT THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL CAN BE THE BEST FRIEND YOU CAN HAVE FOR REPAIRS (IS FOR MY OLDER JEEPS ANYWAY)

KEEP US INFORMED

Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 3:38 AM
TIM4960
Thanks guys, Ill know more more tomorrow when I get it back from the garage. They said it was the headgasket, we shall see.
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 3:47 AM
PROAUTOTECH
You can't rule out the heater core if the hoses are hot. It doesn't mean it's going straight through it. You can get pressure from the water pump on one side and expansion from the block side on the other hose. Also, you can get partial blockage which will only allow a trickle of coolant to get through, but will still make the hoses hot.