2001 Mazda Tribute AC compressor clutch

GARCIAS45
  • 2001 MAZDA TRIBUTE
  • 180 MILES
I have a AC compressor clutch that won't engage. I have refilled the Freon and am looking to find a bypass to connect so I can get the clutch to run at a constant rate but only to find if its good or not. Is there a short cut to put a clip and run the compressor and engage the clutch and see if this needs to be replaced or how do I check the relay switch and dryer for their functions. Can I put a paper clip in the fuse or do I go to the switch and do it there. I know a little about AC I can replace it if this is the problem but I would like to make sure first and go from there. Thank you.
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 3:57 PM

WRENCHTECH
You don't want to go jumping anything out without knowing exactly what you are doing. There are any number of things that can be preventing the compressor from coming on. The very first thing you need to do is test every single fuse using a test light.

I'm uploading the wiring diagram. You will have to follow the diagram to determine where power is being lost.
-2
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 4:41 PM
WRENCHTECH
You may have to download that diagram and blow up the size to read it. The site shrinks it down.
-1
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 4:42 PM
GARCIAS45
Should the AC be on and engine running or just with key on and ac on. And what other than low Freon would cause clutch to not engage thank you
Tuesday, January 28th, 2014 AT 7:28 PM
WRENCHTECH
Yes, the engine should be running when you are doing your testing. The computer will recognize when the engine isn't running on many vehicles. Just about anything on that diagram can prevent the compressor from coming on. As you can see on the diagram, there are multiple switches and fuses in the circuit. Some of the switches are dual purpose and wired in series. You can try momentarily powering the compressor directly to verify the clutch is good but don't run it that way.
-1
Wednesday, January 29th, 2014 AT 2:23 AM
MAXIMILIAM
Could a bad relay switch cause no power to a low pressure valve on the upper AC line.

Garcias45
Thursday, January 30th, 2014 AT 11:21 PM
WRENCHTECH
No, the switches are before the relay in the circuit.
-2
Friday, January 31st, 2014 AT 2:22 AM