2001 Kia Sportage 4X4, 148000 miles

CSA1
  • 2001 KIA SPORTAGE
2001 Kia Sportage 4x4, 148000 miles. Up till yesterday ran perfect. No miss, purred like a kitten, plenty of power. Girlfriend filled it up with gas, was climbing up a hill & vehicle lost power & quit, would not start back up. She says it " acted like it ran out of gas ". So, I put a new fuel pump, strainer & fuel filter on the vehicle.
Turn key on, pump does not make a sound nor pumps. Double checked the fuse & relay, both good. Checked the plug going to the fuel pump for voltage. One of the pins was showing 11. Something & another pin showed 7. Something volts. Both ground were fine. Went back to fuse panel under the hood, check every relay & fuse.
The main fuse was blown ( the 15 amp one, not the relay ). Replaced it, turn on ignition, instantly blew out again. Traced every dang ground to chassis I could find & made sure the was connected & grounding, couldn't find one that wasn't.
Also remembered, back a couple months ago, the check engine light had come on & stayed on. Ran the codes, said faulty cam position sensor & catalytic converter code. I ignored them figuring the vehicle was running perfect, If it was the cam sensor, thought it would run terrible at the least. Had code cleared when I scanned it, never came up again.
So, 1st question. Would a faulty cam sensor cause the main fuse to pop if it was faulty?
& question 2, If not, any ideas as to what is causing it to pop?
I am guessing the main fuse is what is preventing the fuel pump from operating.

Friday, March 15th, 2013 AT 1:07 AM

This is an interesting one. The cam sensor has nothing to do with it. If you have power and a good ground, why wouldn't the pump run? Are you sure the pump is good? It could be causing the fuse to blow. If you have the pump disconnected, does the fuse blow? If not, I would try a different pump.
Friday, March 15th, 2013 AT 1:11 AM
CSA1
Brand new pump, just bought it today, ohmed out all connections ( have had it out 12 times to make sure it wasnt a connection problem) Tested new pump by hooking direct to battery, worked perfect. & There is voltage going to it, just something is preventing it from turning on when ignition is on & keeps popping the main fuse.
Now if you take the main relay out, the main fuse does not pop. But I tested the relay & it works fine. Swapped main & fuel pump relay ( tested it also ) same problem, pops main fuse.
I cant find a bad ground, so not thinking it is that. Another odd thing, the main fuse still shows continuity on my meter even when it is blown
Friday, March 15th, 2013 AT 1:17 AM
CSA1
& yes, fuse still pops when fuel pump disconnected ( just went out & did the check)
What has me stumped, is as I said earlier, the pump has power going to it. Seen on one of the kia forums that some of the Kia's have some sort of fuel pump safety kill switch that has to be rest or something, I'll be danged if I can find it if it has one
Friday, March 15th, 2013 AT 1:38 AM
If it was an ASD (auto shut down) there would be no power to the pump. If you have power to the pump and it doesn't run but rather blows a fuse, there has to be a short in the wiring. Are you sure none of the wires were pinched when installing the tank?

If the fuse doesn't blow right away, I feel there has to be a bad ground. If power is there, the only other thing you need is a ground.
Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 AT 1:47 AM
CSA1
Fuse blows the moment you turn the ignition on. Been tracing wires all week, havent found it yet.
Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 AT 4:26 AM
JIMFOWLER
Did you ever figure out what was causing ur fuse to blow I am currently having the same issue and am stumped as to whats causing it
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 8:42 AM
CSA1
Yes, found the problem. Was a wire in the harness on top of the transmission that somehow got shorted to ground causing the main fuse to pop
+1
Sunday, October 26th, 2014 AT 5:13 PM
JIMFOWLER
Thanks fo the info bro
Tuesday, October 28th, 2014 AT 9:44 AM
JIMFOWLER
Was the bad spot in the wire closer to the top of the transmission?
Saturday, November 1st, 2014 AT 8:59 AM
CSA1
Yes, was on top of tranny
Monday, November 3rd, 2014 AT 7:29 AM
JIMFOWLER
Did you have to drop the trans to get to it?
Monday, November 3rd, 2014 AT 7:35 AM
CSA1
Didnt drop trans, but did have to take cross member out & lower tranny a tad to reach it
Tuesday, November 4th, 2014 AT 10:46 AM
JIMFOWLER
Was that more on the front side or the back side of the transmission, not really able to see enough of the harness to locate it. And thanks again for all ur help
Tuesday, November 4th, 2014 AT 5:04 PM
CSA1
Want to say was almost center of it, been awhile, bad memory.
+1
Wednesday, November 5th, 2014 AT 12:32 AM