2001 Kia Optima Fuel

JLWILSON5254
  • 2001 KIA OPTIMA
Starting the car in the mornings, cold or hot, starts right up, idle begins to fluctuate between 750 and 3000 RPM. Turning the key off and right back on four or five times, the idle settles down to 750. Placing the car in gear, drive 300 feet or so and it dies. Will not start for sometimes five minutes, sometimes an our. Get back in, turn the key and starts, may run for three or four days, 2-3000 miles and then it dies. When it dies, there is a smell of bad gas, sweet smell. Acts like it is vapor locking, which fuel injections is not supposed to do. Have replace fuel filter, throttle position sensor, engine coil, mass air flow sensor, spark plugs and wires. This shutting off also can occur while driving at 70 miles per hour. Most times you can tell when it will die, as it hesitates when accelerating, you better find someplace to pull over. I am afraid it will stall and someone get hit. The check engine light is on and reading the codes, says the coolant sensor has high voltage. I have replaced the sensor, stays off for an week or so, then comes back with same reading.
Thursday, May 22nd, 2014 AT 2:15 PM

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent them
Thursday, May 22nd, 2014 AT 2:22 PM
Also try resetting your anti theft unit if no manual look online on how to do it. But you need to do the other thing s first you may have low fuel pressure should be 37 w/vacuum connected and 46-49 w/o. Coolant sensor should have 2.31 -2.59 ohms at 68 degrees and 0.30-0.34 at 176 degrees.
Thursday, May 22nd, 2014 AT 4:35 PM