2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee engine replaced - interesting problems

CGH5
  • 2001 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
I recently had the engine replaced and after this was replaced all of these problems started. The auto shop that replaced the engine with a Marshall engine said that its nothing they did.

The Window controls on any door did not work and would only show the backlight on the switches but when you attempted to press a button to open the window or lock the doors it would make a noise and then the lights would turn off and eventually come back on (on the switch) Now they will not work at all Strange thing is the mirrors worked for passenger and driver side during the time that the lights would flash on and off on the switches for the door control. It no longer works after the lights no longer came on (on the door control module)

2) The cruse control had a very hard time working and I only got it to work once when I got the truck back. Not it does not work at all. When I turn the cruse control on it says on (on the dashboard) but will not work.

3) my vent selector thingy (sorry dont know the name) that controls if the air comes out of the vents, by your feet or the defrost does not work and no matter what you select it stays on the defrost option. I do not recall if it worked at all when I got the truck back but it worked before with no problems.

4) When got my truck back the front headlights were not working correctly and the left side was very dim and the right would work. When it put my high beams on the dim side would shine bright and the normally bright side would be off. I actually found that the passenger side connector to the headlight was loose and that fixed the issue.

I seem to believe that they forgot to hook things back up based on my experiencing. As I also have been having to add coolant to the system ever since getting it back (3 months ago) and I just noticed today that the radiator has a leak in the top and is cracked where the hose is connected. I assume that was my problem ever since and they must have cracked it putting it back in.

Any ideas maybe that they missed connecting something back together? Thank you in advance for your help!
Thursday, July 10th, 2014 AT 9:08 PM

CGH5
This is a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 v6 4.0L
Thursday, July 10th, 2014 AT 9:11 PM
First thing you should do is take it back to where the engine was installed and tell them to fix it correctly. That is shoddy work. If you want to see if you can fix some of these items yourself then for the heater problem it sounds like it's not getting vacuum so check to see if you have a vacuum line off underhood that leads into the truck. Once it's connected it should fix that part. Then check near the battery and see if there is a ground wire connected from battery to the body and engine. There should be both as well as a ground wire from engine to body, usually in the back of engine. That wire can be a 10 or 12 gauge in back of engine. Everything I've said here may fix all of your problem.S check the areas where I've pointed to for vacuum disconnected for heater.
Friday, July 11th, 2014 AT 6:32 AM
CGH5
I will have to apologize that im not a mechanic but I am technical. The image I posted I assume the schematic (kinda of) image you provided is under the black plastic thing in the image?

I looked around and on the side of it and all of the connections look ok.

I do want to mention that the vehicle runs and moves. Its just all of those things that do not work. One other bit of information that I missed that may or may not make a difference is that when opening the front and passenger doors the internal lights do not come on. When I open the back doors (4 door vehicle) on the passenger and driver side light up the internet lights. I changed out the master control module on the drivers side door thinking it was the problem and its not. I looked at the wiring and it all looked good as well.

I looked at the ground from the battery to the engine and it looks good.

I would take it back to them but they said it has nothing to do with what they did and they would charge me and I have already paid around 5000 for the engine and labor.

Any ideas?
+1
Friday, July 11th, 2014 AT 8:45 AM
CGH5
Here are some other views. I can show you more if needed.
Friday, July 11th, 2014 AT 8:46 AM
Look in the area of the third picture, there may be a small hose leading to the firewall see if it is connected. You also need to see if ground wires are connected to the body from battery. Otherwise if you know someone who is more familiar with cars then have them read what I've sent and look at it before you take it to a mechanic. I still think the problems are what I said and the place you took it to is responsible I kinda think they did shoddy work as a lot of that especially the heater as it's vacuum operated.
Friday, July 11th, 2014 AT 9:25 AM
CGH5
Ok, I will check that connection. The heater does work but its the selection as to what vent it goes out on. Ex. Defrost, vent, recycle. Etc. Stays on defrost no matter what you change it to. I realize that is part of the vacuum but wanted to mention.

I will get back to you. I am pulling out the radiator to replace it soon and will take advantage of that as well.

Thank you. Will be in touch.
Friday, July 11th, 2014 AT 9:29 AM
CGH5
I checked the vacuum connection under the front grill passenger side headlight at it was disconnected. I reconnected it and my cruze control and vents started working. I then took a cable and grounded the engine from a clean bolt to the frame but that did not fix my window issue. Any additional thoughts?
Saturday, September 27th, 2014 AT 7:39 AM
Check fuse 12 in your underhood fuse box for windows then check to see if power is going to switch andto motor. It may be the body module with that which would require scanning by a pro to see if that is problem.
Saturday, September 27th, 2014 AT 9:40 AM