TIMING MARKS 2001 ISUZU RODEO

• MichaelGoose412
  • 2001 Isuzu Rodeo
  • automatic

I am trying to set the timing on a 2001 isuzu rodeo 2.2 dohc. The diagram doesn't accuratly show the timing marks, which way should I be lining them up? There is 1 mark on intake cam gear and 2 marks on the exhaust cam gear along with the single mark on the harmonic balancer.

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 8:54 AM

• Wrenchtech

Here are the marks

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 1:19 PM
  • MichaelGoose412

Yep that is the diagram I have got. Like I stated before there are 2 marks on the exhuast cam and 1 mark on the intake cam. Which mark goes where? The picture only shows 1 mark on each cam but there are 2 on the exhuast cam.

-1
Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 2:13 PM
  • Wrenchtech

The marks should appear different. There is actually only one timing mark on each pulley. The other mark must be something else.

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 2:17 PM
  • MichaelGoose412

Okay thank you. There is a mark on each cam gear that are similar, will try that when the kiddo take a nap and let you know what I find.

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 2:26 PM
  • MichaelGoose412

Ok thank you very much I think I got it but it still running roughly and I am getting a misfire on cylinder 3. I have replaced the spark plugs, wires and coil pack. Still getting a misfire on cylinder 3. If it helps we noticed a valve cover leak when replacing the timing belt and idler rollers for the timing belt. The spark plug were just sitting in oil so we soaked up what we could pulled the spark plugs and let remaining oil drain over the pistons (yes I know it isn't the smartest thing to do but there was alot.). Then we left the plugs out and turned over the engine to blow any oil out the top. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 3:42 AM
  • Wrenchtech

Do a compression test and make sure that plug didn't get fouled by the oil.

Tuesday, February 22nd, 2011 AT 11:17 AM
  • MichaelGoose412

Trying to get ahold of a tool to do compression test. While waiting on that I swapped 3rd plug for 1st plug. Checked all plugs, cleaned (weren't dirty) and reinstalled the plugs. Pulled the connector to coil pack tested with volt meter with ignition in the "ON" position read 12, 0.04.04. Tested fuel pressure on fuel rail (40PSI not running, ignotion in on position.

Since I didn't have the cam gear locking tool when we set the timing I am also trying to locate one of those and setting the timing again to "BE SURE". Won't be able to do much until Monday so I will let you know what I find. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 4:53 PM
  • Wrenchtech

The cam locking tool merely assists you in getting the belt on. If the belt is already on, then simply check the timing marks. The tool isn't needed unless you have to remove the belt all over again.

+1
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 4:57 PM