WEIRD NOISE IN TRANSMISSION

2001 Honda Civic

luvnhondas

September, 26, 2011 AT 5:23 PM

I have a 2001 honda civic 5 speed lx and its making a weird noise from transmission I guess and when I push the clutch in the noise goes away I need to know if this is a input shaft bearring or throwout bearring. I took it to several mechanics and they said it could be either one which is no help at all. Please let me know a solid answer thanks

DrCranknWrench

September, 26, 2011 AT 7:30 PM

With the mileage on your car it could be an input shaft bearing. However, if it shifts good and seems to behave otherwise, Hondas are prety tough and the bearings last for a long time.

The throwout bearing is definately bda as when you put pressure on it, the moise goes away. If it were the input shaft, the noise might even get louder as doing this allows the input shaft more freedom to move around becasue the clutch plate is free to move and it is attached to the end of the input shaft. Also, your pilot bearing is in need of replacement as well.
Depending on what you plan to do with the car, you can fix this in 2 ways. You can get a kit with a friction plate, pressure plate, thrwout bearing and pilot bearing. The other option is to just get a friction plate and you usually have to get the pilot and throwout seperately in that case. Some companies will include them but not many. The problem with the friction plate only is that the pressure plate cannot be re-surfaced and the friction plate might not engage smoothly after break in.
You will also have to re-surface the flywheel if you want to do it the right way with the full clutch kit.
Getting just the friction plate and bearings is just a patch and can cause vibration and other issues, but it will work for a while. If you plan to drive it till it dies and not keeping it for long, jsut patch it.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions