Air only blows out of the defrosters

TTONKA42
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
I have a 2001 ford taurus. When I turn on the air conditioning or the heater it only blows out of the defrosters. Panel floor vent will not work. A friend of mine said change the blend door and I did and I found out that all it does is regulate the heat and cold air ( 50.00 part wasted ) Another person said look for a vacuum line, I did and found a very tiny one hanging off the passenger side firewall but don't know where it goes. Sorry for the frustration but i'm a funeral director not an auto mechanic.
Thursday, May 12th, 2011 AT 6:33 AM

There's is a small vacuum hose that is disconnected probably under the hood headed into the fire wall on the passengers side. Look for a small check valve to plug that hose into. It will be somewhere near or on the firewall near the rear edge of the hood, and it could be about the size of a stack of three nickels with a port on each side, or it could be the style with a built-in storage chamber.

That one is about the diameter of a quarter and about 1 1/2" long, again, with a port on each end. Your car might also use a much larger type of vacuum storage canister with the port for the hose. Vacuum-operated systems are spring-loaded to go to the defrost position when vacuum is lost. Your feet might freeze but the windshield will be clear.

Here are some vacuum diagrams (below) to help you see what needs vacuum. If you need to run a new hose to the control head to fix the problem.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Randy
Thursday, May 12th, 2011 AT 7:14 AM
GRABBER
Good afternoon,

I have the identical problem with a 98 Sable. Is the vacuum line that you are discussing on the outside firewall or inside (under the dashboard?

Any help is appreciated. July will be here very soon.
Tuesday, May 24th, 2011 AT 9:19 PM
Both. It starts at the engine, goes to a storage canister or check valve, then goes through the firewall to the heater controls.
Wednesday, May 25th, 2011 AT 4:28 AM
GRABBER
Thanks. I found the line from the check valve that points straight down is only about 8-10 inches long and either broken or disconnected (hard to tell by looking at it). I was having a tough time finding where the end of this hose goes to until I looked at the diagrams you have above.

I will have to check the firewall very closely again and leave an update. Or any hints at where I may find the entry point to the inside of the vehicle?
Sunday, May 29th, 2011 AT 10:46 AM
It should be either right at the firewall center where the heater hoses go into the car or at the passengers side outer firewall.
Sunday, May 29th, 2011 AT 8:50 PM
JGONZO2398
Had this same exact problem on my 2002 Ford Taurus, took it to Firestone for a diagnosis, they told me it was three different things, wanted to charge me $700. One of those things was the cabin air filter, replaced that (since it was just full of crap), fixed my problem. I'd suggest to start there, $10 fix.
Saturday, March 17th, 2018 AT 10:52 AM
That filter affects how much air can get through, not which vents it comes out of, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was enough debris built up to where it blocked a mode door.

Happy to hear you found an inexpensive solution.
Saturday, March 17th, 2018 AT 10:28 PM
JGONZO2398
Sounds like it wouldn t make sense I know, but I had that same exact problem and the cabin air filter fixed my issue, I even changed the blend door actuator before that but that didn t even help. I d say it s a good place to start
Saturday, March 17th, 2018 AT 11:07 PM
KEN
Good call, thanks for the input. Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, March 20th, 2018 AT 4:50 PM