BRAKES

2001 Ford Ranger

k_walsh90

August, 14, 2011 AT 5:32 PM

I have an 01 Ford Ranger. Almost every time I make a hard left turn or a u-turn to the left my brakes will go out. The pedal will go to the floor and I have to pump them or hold the pedal down until they work. I've heard maybe it's the lift kit pinching the brake line. What do you think?

fixitmr

August, 14, 2011 AT 5:44 PM

If you put paint on the brake line it should show up if it gets pinched? Really does sound odd though!

fixitmr

August, 14, 2011 AT 5:59 PM

Maybe the line is getting stretched? I heard most guys dont hook up the brakeline bracket but let the line run loose. And check that you got nothing hitting the caliper when turned all the way. You may have to make adjustments on steering stops. Lift kits arn't perfect!

k_walsh90

August, 14, 2011 AT 6:01 PM

Any other suggestions other than pinched brake line? We have looked over the lines a bit and didn't see any place where that could be happening.

August, 14, 2011 AT 6:11 PM

GOT HER TWISTED, WHEN THE CALIPERS WERE OFF?

FRONT IN IN AIR. BUDDY TURNS STEERING WHEEL--YOU WATCH?

August, 14, 2011 AT 6:11 PM

"END" NOT "IN"

fixitmr

August, 15, 2011 AT 1:49 AM

A sudden increase in pedal travel might indicate a sudden increase in fluid demand? Which may mean caliper makes sudden shift? Have you tried putting on brakes and THEN turning to see what happens? Or vice versa?

fixitmr

August, 15, 2011 AT 2:07 AM

There is the possiblity that the caliper is getting knocked/pushed forcing the piston back in and causing out of adjustment caliper that then requires pumping to get back to adjustment.

Replace Your Brake Caliper Like a Pro
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford