How to compress the coil spring that goes to the telescopic / tilt steering column.

TIGGERAKAKEITH
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
This is the part of the column that the cylinde lock and ignition switch and there is a barrel with a shaft. On one end the steering wheel attaches to and the other end it connects to you steering linkage via spline, the shaft portion that goes into the barrel is the female part of the spline linkage. I need to compress the coil spring back into the barrel. On top of the spring goes a dust seal with a mechancal seal in the center of this, in witch is a snap ring once the coil spring is compressed snaps on to the female end of the spline shaft. In my atemps to compress the spring all I manage to do is disstort the dust seal, not to mention cannot get at the snap ring. What do you use to compress the coil spring and not destroy the dust seal and still get at the snap ring.
Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 8:02 PM

DOCFIXIT
Make a special tool for that
-1
Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 8:11 PM