Misfire

KSCHAFFER
  • 2001 FORD F-150
In wisconsin we had a large snow fall and snow got packed up under the truck and I had to stop and clean it out. Then after the vehicle sitting all day and getting gas the check engine light is on and the engine has a misfire sound. I let it run for a half hour in the drive way to dry out under the hood and then took it for a 2mile drive and it did not misfire at all and now today it has a slight misfire? 2001 ford f-150 140,000miles.
Thursday, March 24th, 2011 AT 5:11 PM

CUP1981
Have the engine light scanned at a local shop and try to find out what cylinder is misfiring or if it is a "random misfire." It sounds like some water got onto the coil packs and caused them to fail -- this is extremely common in 5.4-liter Fords.

If it is random, I will try to walk you through the diagnostic process.

Check the light first and get back to me with the codes. Some auto parts stores scan for free, FYI.
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 AT 6:30 AM
Hey cup1981,

Had same issue with wife's '03 Escape--my/others diagnoses' varied as to why the vehicle stuttered (skipped), repeatedly in "sets", mainly while encountering inclines and applying pedal. It was no until towards the end, that the coil pack was "blamed"

I'm gonna sit back, at kschaffer's post and see how you might come up with an EZer-Faster method of finding the problem--I am no expert with the newer computer cars.I do Jeep CJs and older (much older) Fords----I wanna learn. Doesn't look like the wife is gonna drive, what I drive!

Saw several other of your answers, keep it up, 'splain things really good to these folks, they wouldn't be here if they "Knew the talk!"

Need to get you a avatar too, so you will be recognized at a glance! (Hint-your avatar needs to have a background all around it, not a tight/full pic shot, otherwise it will get cropped out)

Welcome Aboard! Keep it up!

The Medic
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 AT 1:20 PM
Allrighty-Then,

cup1981,

A-V-A-T-A-R. Not "Scarecrow" LOL!

I hope you didn't frighten kschaffer away! Hehehehe!

Kschaffer, What's happening with your rig?

The Medic
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 AT 7:24 PM