01 F150 - NO HEAT

2001 Ford F-150

harjo

'01 Ford F150 - heater will not get hot. Heater barely warm idling, then cools as driving. Flushed radiator and changed thermostat. Any suggestions?

No Heat

Wrenchtech

With the engine at full operating temp, locate the 2 heater hoses where they go into the firewall and feel them to see if they are both hot to the touch. If not too hot to hold, then you have to look at the actual engine temp and if that is up, if it is, then your looking at a restricted heater core.
If you find that they are both too hot to hold, then the heat in that vehicle is controlled by a blend door that regulates heated air flow. It is operated by an electric motor/actuator. The problem can be that the actuator is stripped or inoperative or the door itself could be damaged. This is what needs to be determined by examining the actuator and see if it is responding to heat change commands or not.
If they are both not too hot to hold on to, then you either have a restricted heater core or the system is not completely full and getting air pockets for some reason.

harjo

Hoses are not the same temp. Left hose is warm and right hose is much hotter. Engine temp never gets above normal. I'll try flushing the heater core. If it's the blend door, can the dash be removed or does that need to be done by a dealership?

Wrenchtech

If it's a blend door issue, it would still need to be determined exactly what the issue is. An actuator can be replaced much easier than the door itself if that was jammed or broken.

harjo

Thanks for the info. I'll flush the heater core, then check the actuator. I'll keep you posted

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement